none
Suggestion needed - Users computers OS moving to Mac

Question

• Hi-

Most of our Sharepoint online users are currently using Windows 7/10 and they have to to change to MAC because of some business reasons. So would like to know about the potential impacts interms of the way they access sharepoint site through browser(s), Doc sysnc, ect. 

Thanks, Ram

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 11:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Ram,

I don't have a ton of experience with this, but I recently started using my Mac at the office in an attempt to figure out what I could, and couldn't do, in the Microsoft world.  The first question, I suppose, is whether or not you are using SharePoint On-Prem or in the cloud?

If its On-Prem, the first thing that comes to mind, since you're not using a domain-joined system (even if you were to "domain join" the way a Mac can) is that you'll end up with users being prompted for credentials, where before it used NTLM or some other means to determine the currently logged on user.  I can't tell you the exact circumstances that will cause it, but I see it a lot.

If its in the Cloud, and you're using ADFS, you'll notice that single-sign-on stops working.  This is due to the afore-mentioned non-domain-joined system, but also is due to the fact that the "UserAgent" of the browser (whether Chrome, Firefox or Safari) is not recognized by default in the ADFS configuration.  We've never pursued this since IE is our corporate standard, but there is a way to correct it.  In your case however; this won't help, since the logged on user will not be recognized in the way it would using Windows anyway.

There are a bunch of other things that I've experienced while using my Mac at work, but they're not related to SharePoint.  In reality though, 99% of the things I've had to work around are authentication related much like the above.

I know my response doesn't provide how to fix or work around these issues (I just enter my credentials and move on), but hopefully this helps.

Thanks,
    Jay

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 3:24 PM
  • Oops, missed the part where you said SharePoint Online.  Just omit the "On-Prem" paragraph :)

Jay

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 3:31 PM