Outlook: Disappearing Emails RRS feed

• Question

• I have two employees reporting a similar issue with their 2016 Outlook (both running the most recent updates for MS Office and OS High Sierra).

Employee 1: Reports multiple attempts to send an e-mail report (with 15+ BCCs) that fail. She hits 'Send' and the message stays in her Drafts folder. She has also reported hitting 'Send' and having the message "disappear," after which she is unable to locate the message in her Sent folder or Drafts folder.

Employee 2: Reports that 2 or 3 important email chains have gone partially missing. He has been included on and responding to the thread, but last Friday the thread disappeared altogether and he had to have a coworker forward him the message chain. We cannot locate the chain when searching his Inbox, Sent, and Drafts folders.

I have not found any recent reports about disappearing e-mails online, but find it odd that two employees reported similar issue, both of which seemed to manifest last Thursday, Feb. 1.

• Edited by bwinzek_paradigm Wednesday, February 7, 2018 3:28 PM
    • Moved by Steve Fan Thursday, March 1, 2018 6:57 AM move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 3:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What's your account type? Exchange, POP or IMAP?

Have they checked whether the messages exist on the web mail? When searching these messages, please try selecting All Mailboxes to see if they are moved to other sub-folders.

In case there is a corrupted view setting, please go to Filter Email under Home tab and click Clear All Filters.

>>She has also reported hitting 'Send' and having the message "disappear," after which she is unable to locate the message in her Sent folder or Drafts folder.

Does this message send out successfully?

Besides, please try creating a new profile to see the result. To do this, please refer to this article.

What’s more, please also collect detailed version information of Outlook for Mac and IOS for further assistance.

Any updates, please post back at ease.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, February 9, 2018 7:17 AM
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 8:34 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Thanks for the reply and apologies for the delayed response. Unfortunately, this issue is low-priority, and I'm only now circling back to it. Answers to questions in bold:

>>What's your account type? Exchange, POP or IMAP?

Exchange

>>Have they checked whether the messages exist on the web mail? When searching these messages, please try selecting All Mailboxes to see if they are moved to other sub-folders.

Employee 1 cannot see the missing e-mails when she logs in to OWA, whereas Employee 2 can.

In case there is a corrupted view setting, please go to Filter Email under Home tab and click Clear All Filters.

>>Does this message send out successfully?

No. No trace of it in Sent, Drafts, or on OWA.

>>Besides, please try creating a new profile to see the result. To do this, please refer to this article.

Have not had time to attempt this with either employee yet due to their work schedules.

>>What’s more, please also collect detailed version information of Outlook for Mac and IOS for further assistance.

Employee 1: 

Running Mac OS High Sierra 10.12.6 on a MacBook Pro 13" late 2013

• Outlook v. 16.9 - fully updated

Employee 2:

Running Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3 on a MacBook Pro 13" late 2016

• Outlook v. 16.9 - fully updated

Thanks for your help,

-Brent

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:44 PM

• Hi Brent,

Thank you for your update.

I've researched a lot and currently, I haven't found any official articles about this. Please follow the  suggestion above to try re-creating a new profile to see if there are any improvements.

Besides, I noticed that a new version 16.10.0 was released on February 13. You could also upgrade to the newest version and then check the result.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Wednesday, February 21, 2018 6:38 AM
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 6:37 AM