Could I clear Icon cache and get refreshed icons without restarting explorer in C++ code? RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried creating process ie4uinit.exe with -ClearIconCache arguement, but failed, seems I have no access privilege.

I am developing applications for Windows Mobile and Android. I like my job.

• Edited by Alvin-Hu Thursday, January 21, 2016 8:59 AM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 12:44 PM

All replies

• I get some clues from the following websites:

How to rebuild icon cache

How to Rebuild the Icon Cache in Windows

How to rebuild icon cache in Windows 8.1

It seems that I have to restart the explorer at least to avoid getting the old cached icon.  Am I right ? I want to get this work on Windows XP and above.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 2:19 AM
  • Or Is there any way for me to run "ie4uinit.exe -ClearIconCache" correctly in code ? Any input will be highly appreciated. 

Thursday, January 21, 2016 8:59 AM
  • Hi,

About your question, I think this website may be helpful, it talks about clear icon cache in win 7 programmatically - execute ie4uinit.exe-ClearIconCache, please check it to find some prompt.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18874632/clear-icon-cache-in-win-7-programmatically-execute-ie4uinit-exe-cleariconcache

On the other hand, there is a Internet Explorer forum, about C++ code question, I advise you ask for help from our MSDN forum.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/home

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. 

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope my clarification is clear.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 1:08 PM
  • Thanks a lot for your information,  The link you post doesn't provide a way to resolve this problem. I will have a try posting a question on the advised forum.

Friday, January 22, 2016 1:47 AM
  • Hi Alvin,

You are welcome, I am glad to assist you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 22, 2016 2:04 AM