What kind of resources leak? Handles? Desktop heap? Cannot start any process or create any window anymore RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am not sure if I'm on the right forum here, if not, please recommend me a better one.

We've been developing a pretty complex application for many years, and now we have to support it on Windows 7 too. We've been extensively testing the application on the system therefore, and it turns out we're suffering from a kind of a mysterious resource leak. Our application processes a large amount of data, recalculating, rendering reports etc - but that's not the point; after a one day test cycle we're usually end up in the Windows being stuck - you can't start any process any more, can't create windows etc. All symptoms would point at "desktop heap" running out of free space, or some similar handle leak (GDI, USER objects etc.). The point is, we've been using all possible tools to find out what kind of leak this could be to no avail. Process Explorer, dheapmon, native Perfomance logs... There's no hint or indication what is leaking - all resources are pretty well off, there's no one going even close to 50% of their limits.

I would like to ask to give us some hints - what more should we monitor to find out what's leaking?

Best regards,

Maciej

Monday, November 22, 2010 9:54 AM

All replies

• Run VMMap to see how much RAM you use and which kind of RAM. Also run ProcessExplorer to see the used handles.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Monday, November 22, 2010 11:34 AM
  • All already done, surely it's not about memory - and how could it affect the whole system, apart from Kernel Paged/Non-Paged pool, which are a way under their limits?

As I mentioned, no handles seem to reach any limit. The highest usage is reported by Explorer.exe: 640 USER,884 GDI, 2.5K handles. The rest of processes (including our own) indicates significiantly lower usage.

But thanks for the suggestions anyway!

Maciej

Monday, November 22, 2010 12:13 PM