Video playback stops with VLC & WMP after about twenty minutes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Maybe someone can help me with this annoying problem.

I have Win 7 x64 & SP1 & all the patches to date.

I tried looking here for a similar issue & one or two did mention video issues after about twenty minutes of just watching & not having any input into the PC. But they were most talking about WMC whikh I don't use.

My problem is with watching any kind of video files. They play just fine in either VLC or WMP until about twenty minutes in...then they just stop playing. My screen instantly goes blank & into power save mode & the audio stops just as instantly. If I move the mouse then playback resumes.

This problem is repeatable & I have tested it a few times with both VLC & WMP & the results are always the same.

I'm relatively new to Windows 7 (about four months or so) but I have checked my power saving mode & when my HDD turns off & they are fine.

But this issue happens ALL the time when watching video files. I haven't tried a DVD yet.

Is there a setting in Windows 7 that is causing this behaviour that I need to change because it's getting very annoying right now.

Or maybe I'm just doing something wrong :(

Please help if you can.

fredwest :)

Friday, July 29, 2011 7:38 PM

All replies

• Hi fredwest,

Thanks for the post!

Clean Boot your computer to check if the issue persists. Refer to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 

If it doesn't work, I suggest you check your Power Plan settings.

Go to Power Options, check Sleep after xxx minutes, Disaply  - Turn off display after xxx minutes, and  Multimedia settings - When playing video, which you choose?

Please postpone the sleep and turn off display time.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 7:24 AM