none
Unable to Print Wrapped Task Names--Project 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• This seems so extreme that I'm worried I'm missing something obvious, but...Is anyone else unable to print word wrapped task names in Project 2013? Just the first line of the task name gets printed. Only the first line is visible in the print preview as well.

We're seeing this on two laptops in different environments with different printers. One has the April hotfix installed. One doesn't. I believe both are 64 bit systems. Both are running Project Professional. Printing wrapped task names in Project 2010 works fine.

Haven't been able to find any reference to this on the web so thought I'd check with you all.

Thanks for any thoughts!

David Kaiser, PMP, MCTS, MCITP
    Schedule Associates International
    www.ScheduleAssociates.net

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 8:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• David,

Problems like this are almost always related to printer drivers, and not Project.  My experience is that 64-bit printer drivers are not all as robust ast 32-bit as the printer vendors appear to simply not put the same attention to fixing issues.  

Try on a 32-bit machine if you can.  Printer drivers may be of better quality.  Or print to PDF with Adobe or FoxIt PhantomPDF, or something...

A number of people I work with installed 64-bit because "it must be better" (sort of like going for more pixels in a camera, or a V-8 engine, etc.)   We had so many printing and other incompatibilities we simply went back to 32-bit on every machine except for those who needed it to run apps that only ran on 64-bit.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Thursday, May 9, 2013 6:51 AM
  • Thank you for your thoughts Rob.

I've tried printing to PDF, saving as PDF (and XPS), and using the Export to PDF function within Project 2013 and they all produce output with truncated task names. Yet a 64 bit version of Project 2010 on the same machine prints wrapped task names to the same printer with no problems.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 11:12 AM
  • Thanks to Brian Smith of Microsoft for letting me know that this was fixed in the June 2013 CU located here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2817338 . I've installed it and it seems to take care of the problem.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:25 AM