Intel DG965WH -- Need Help With Driver Issues! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a DG965WH with Core 2 Duo 6400 (2.13Ghz). I have been using Vista Bussiness RTM pretty well for the past few weeks, but I have noticed some issues too, and was wondering if anyone else has a solution to these issuses???

First, my hardware config:

Intel DG965WH
    Core 2 Duo 6400
    XTX 7900 GT
    Kingston 2GB RAM
    WDC 250GB HDD
    Pioneer DVD-RW
    Antec Sonata II Case.

Secondly, my headaches:

1. There is a "Simple PCI Communication" (Something like that) device that I just can not get drivers for... I went on Intel website, and installed all the new drivers released during end of Feburary, but not too much luck... I did not try the matrix storage though... I don't know if that is the soution??? Oh and I don't have any other PCI device other than my GPU is PCI-E... I built this computer by myself so I am pretty sure it's something on the MOBO.

2. After installing the Sigmatel Audio drivers (2/14/07 Version), I find that the sound from Vista is always a bit slower... at least it feels like it... the response seems slow. Such as system sound occurs usually while you click the controls, on my system the system sound occurs _after_ I click the controls. Has anyone else bumped into this problem? Should I have jsut stayed with the Default drivers???

3. Should I enable the Intel Quick Resume??? I don't know... it doesn't really benifit me that much since I have my system on all the time.

4. (Not really Vista related) Since the most recent BIOS update for the DG965WH... there is a boot screen with the Intel Logo that comes up every time I restart my computer... I looked in the BIOS, but there seems to be no way of disabling it. Does anyone know how to?

5. If anyone knows of _any_ good method of optimizing the DG965WH for Vista, please leave me as suggestions... I am happy with the overall performance, but still the little bugs just bother me...

Thanks for your time!

Ke

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 1:57 PM

All replies

• I found a possible soution of the Unknown PCI Device error in the device manager:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-022404.htm

Also according to the documentation, if you are not using your system as media center, you should close Quick Resume from the BIOS.

Ke

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 2:07 PM

• 1. I wouldn't worry about it.  Disable everything in the BIOS you are not using and see if it goes away.  It might be a Vive component, I'll check to see if it is present in the control panel on mine.  You installed the chipset inf?    Do not install the matrix storage manager!  There is another thread near the top of this forum discussing all the problems ICH8R has under Vista with RAID and AHCI.

2. Stick with the default WDM audio drivers.  I installed the Sigmatel package and did not see anything that was not already implemented better in the native Vista audio panel.  The sigmatel task bar application has to be the ugliest I have ever seen.

3. Leave it disabled.  I have it disabled and Vista comes out of standby in about 1 second.  No reason to fix something that isn't broken.

4. Intel has tools to create a custom BIOS where you can change or remove the boot screen.  http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/software/itk/index.htm

5. For now I would say run the latest BIOS 1649 and use the default drivers from Windows Update.  Set the disk controller to Legacy IDE mode to avoid the problems with the ICH8R RAID and AHCI drivers.   Disable everything you are not using (serial port, parallel port, floppy controller, Intel quick resume, etc).  This has been a very stable recipe for me.

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 1:03 AM
  • I know what the device is... It's referring to a Dial-up Modem.

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 1:14 AM
  • Wow, thanks for the reply. I haven't came back for like 3 months and suddenly I found this reply on Google. :-) Thanks.

Ke

Friday, June 15, 2007 6:50 PM
  • I have found out the hardway, over 5 rebuilds of system in the last 45 days, that if you install the Intel chipset drivers IN VISTA, some time down the road you will have problems with one or more of your hardware devices that use them.  After all the rebuilds I have found if you go into safe mode and install the chipset drivers there, you stand a better chance of not seeing any inf/driver corruption.  

Have used this method for my last 2 rebuilds and found out that most of the issues that were crashing the systems were bad or incompatible hardware.  ie LG DVD-Ram drives.

Oh, using a biostar g965 Micro 775 board with a Pentium D 935 processor, last rebuild has gone 48 hours with no problems, (after I removed the LG DVD and installed my old Sony DVD RW drive.)

Glenn

Monday, July 2, 2007 5:23 PM