none
FS4SP Development to Test to Production - Migration Process RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

We've been running a single node FS4SP development environment and a multi node FS4SP test environment.    The initial setup of the test environment was a fairly manual process, replicating the scopes, managed properties, content sources etc from the development environment.   We're now looking at moving to a production environment.   The production environment installation has been setup along with the associated SharePoint content and query SSA's.  I'd like to know if there are some good processes for moving the various configurations between these environments or generally what people do.   We're not looking at restoring the index or FIXML etc, primarily just the configuration and settings.

My initial thoughts were too:

• Use PowerShell and/or the Enterprise Search Migration Tool to export the search scopes, managed properties, content sources and federated location properties and XSL.
      • Use the FS4SP PowerShell scripts to run a config backup and restore (using the -action configmigrate parameter)

Any thoughts on these steps or what others do would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Pete

Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I usually build powershell scripts which I then run in the the different environments. So no export/import, just a script to create everything and ensure everything is set up the correct way.

That way you know the script is the master. Of course changed made via central admin are not carried over, but it's a matter of deciding on an approach which works.

The reason for using scripts is that it's easier to send scripts to a hosting provider compared to manual steps. It's all about making it as easy as possible for anyone to set up the correct environment (dev/test/stage/prod).

You can very well use XML as the config file, then have the script instrument the config file when you run it.

Thanks,
    Mikael Svenson

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/MCT/MCPD
    http://techmikael.blogspot.com/
    Author of Working with FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint

• Marked as answer by petecuttriss Wednesday, September 19, 2012 10:00 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I usually build powershell scripts which I then run in the the different environments. So no export/import, just a script to create everything and ensure everything is set up the correct way.

That way you know the script is the master. Of course changed made via central admin are not carried over, but it's a matter of deciding on an approach which works.

The reason for using scripts is that it's easier to send scripts to a hosting provider compared to manual steps. It's all about making it as easy as possible for anyone to set up the correct environment (dev/test/stage/prod).

You can very well use XML as the config file, then have the script instrument the config file when you run it.

Thanks,
    Mikael Svenson

• Marked as answer by petecuttriss Wednesday, September 19, 2012 10:00 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:40 AM
  • Thanks for your reply Mikael.

In this instance I've used mutliple scripts for setting up the various artifacts but I currently don't have a master script to call each of the others in turn.   I'll look at updating my procedure so that I use a single master script + configuration file.   The key for me is keeping track of all the various artifacts/changes that happen during test/development that need to be put in place.

Regards
    Pete

• Edited by petecuttriss Wednesday, September 19, 2012 10:02 PM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 10:00 PM
  • Hi,

When you create changes you can use the approach to always remove any cp/mp/mapping at the beginning of the script (or content sources/scopes etc), then set up everything the way you want it. Sort of a tear down/set up approach. It makes executing the script take a bit longer, but you know everything is the way you want it.

This can also be optimized by checking if the settings are as you expect, and if so, keep them instead of removing them first. Either way, creating scripts like this helps you in the long run.

Thanks,
    Mikael Svenson

Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:05 AM
  • Thanks Mikael,

Can I ask how you structure your script/s, i.e. do you have a single master which you use for the creation of your FAST Content SSA, Query SSA and then also which you use on your FAST Servers for the creation of your cp/mp/mappings etc or do you have a seperate script for the work you carry out on the FAST farm and then another script for the work you carry out on your SharePoint farm?

Currently I've got a script for the creation of my SharePoint FAST Content SSA and FAST Query SSA... and then I run a set of seperate scripts (which I'm in the process of consolidating) on my FAST farm for the creation the cp/mp/mappings/property extraction lists etc.

BTW, I've found your's, Marcus and Robert's book to be a fantastic resource.

Regards
    Pete

Sunday, September 23, 2012 9:41 PM
  • Hi,

I have one script for setting up the initial deployment, one for settings which must be executed on the FS4SP servers (cp/mp etc) and one to be execute on the SharePoint servers (scopes/sources).

The setup script is more or less static, while the others are modified as I go along. The reason to use fewer scripts is that it's easier when handing them over to a hosting vendor during upgrade. They just re-run the scripts with one command to get everything updated.

Thanks,
    Mikael Svenson

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/MCT/MCPD - If you find an answer useful, please up-vote it.

Monday, September 24, 2012 6:52 AM