Collection not getting custom client settings RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new install of SCCM 2012 R2 and am trying to roll out a custom client settings to a test group collection and it is not being installed. I can't find any errors as to why its not being installed. I can roll out the custom client settings to individual PCs such as my own, but my test collection is six Windows 7 desktop PCs and I have no errors and no folders or log files being generated on those client PCs. I've looked at the ccm.log file and see no errors.

Anyone else run into this?

Thanks

Thursday, February 27, 2014 7:45 PM

Answers

• For clients to get client settings, they must first have the client agent on them -- these are two separate things.

So, first, tackle getting the client agent installed on those systems using one of the various methods available.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

• Proposed as answer by Joyce L Friday, February 28, 2014 5:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce L Monday, March 3, 2014 10:38 AM
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 9:45 PM

All replies

• ccm.log has nothing to do with client settings [packages].

As with all other "instructions" for ConfigMgr clients, the clients must refr4esh their local policy by running a machine policy update. By default, they do this every 60 minutes. Alternatively, you can force this using the Control Panel Applet on the client (Actions tab) or by using Client Notification.

Also, I don't understand this statement: "I can roll out the custom client settings to individual PCs". That makes no sense because you can only target collections.

Are you actually talking about installing the client agent itself?

If so, how are you initiating the install?

Are the clients in the collection assigned to the primary site?

Thursday, February 27, 2014 8:28 PM
  • Sorry for the confusion.  I created a test collection of just my PC and I was able to get the client to installed by pushing it out through the CM console. I created another collection of just our IT dept of 6 computers and I don't see any activity in their task manager or anything. They don't have the Actions tab in Control Panel either because they don't have the client installed. 

My process of pushing out the custom client settings is by going to the administration page, client settings and then deploying the custom client device settings to the collection. On that collection in the assets and compliance tab, it shows that custom client settings I pushed out on that tab so I know it was deployed correctly. 

I was just wondering if there was a place I could look to see what activity is/isn't going on and where I could find an error message. 

• Edited by JimmyL27 Thursday, February 27, 2014 9:38 PM
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 9:34 PM
  • For clients to get client settings, they must first have the client agent on them -- these are two separate things.

So, first, tackle getting the client agent installed on those systems using one of the various methods available.

• Proposed as answer by Joyce L Friday, February 28, 2014 5:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce L Monday, March 3, 2014 10:38 AM
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 9:45 PM