Configuring EAP-TLS on Windows Client (Wired) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am attempting to configure Windows clients to authenticate as the machine with a computer certificate. The Mac clients authenticate just fine but Windows clients just time out. I have been up and down the config of our switches and the NPS server and still can't seem to find a solution. I see 'Onex Auth Timeout' in the Wired AutoConfig log on the client and on the NPS server I see it is hitting the server in the log in C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles but not in the Event Viewer. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. EAP-MSCHAP-V2 works fine but I want to use EAP-TLS.

Thanks!

Thursday, July 28, 2016 4:53 PM

Answers

• Hello,

We figured out yesterday that Jumbo frames were on the Switch and were not on the RADIUS server thus the packets were getting skewed I think. After turning off jumbo frames on the switch, Windows clients authenticated fine. Thanks for your Help!

Friday, July 29, 2016 11:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

OneXRestartReasonOneXAuthTimeout

The 802.1X authentication restart was the result of an state timeout. The timer expiring is the authWhile timer of the 802.1X supplicant port access entity defined in IEEE 802.1X - 2004 standard for Port-Based Network Access Control. The authWhile timer is used by the supplicant port access entity to determine how long to wait for a request from the authenticator before timing it out.

1.Please try to  increase the EAP timeout values as EAP-TLS is used on the switch.

2.Please try to disabling the multicast-trigger function on the ports.

If they don't help,about certificate problem,you maight want to post your query in security forum for further assistance:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-Us/home?forum=winserversecurity

Friday, July 29, 2016 6:35 AM
  • Hello,

We figured out yesterday that Jumbo frames were on the Switch and were not on the RADIUS server thus the packets were getting skewed I think. After turning off jumbo frames on the switch, Windows clients authenticated fine. Thanks for your Help!

Friday, July 29, 2016 11:41 AM