VHDs or CIFS share in storage pool? (2012R2) RRS feed

• Question

• We're currently evaluating DPM 2012 R2 to replace our current disk-tape backup with a disk-disk-tape setup.

Somewhere (at one point in time) I read that DPM did NOT support CIFS shares for it's storage pool - BUT that I could create and attach a VHD on the CIFS share and use that from within the DPM Admin console.

I tried this, but the system claimed it needed to be a "dynamic" disk (as opposed to a basic disk - and not to be confused with fixed vs dynamically expanding VHDs).

Have I been misled? I've looked around and there doesn't seem to be a combination of VHDs that will allow me to make a "dynamic disk" in disk mgmt. That seems to be reserved for locally attached disks...

Our storage solution is a HP deduplicating hardware box that does NOT support iSCSI or similar, but only CIFS shares.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 2:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can setup a remote SMB share and store the .VHD files on that, and attach them to the guest VM in Hyper-V.  DPM would see the disks in disk management and you can add them to the DPM storage pool.

See the following article.

SMB 3.0 brings enterprise-class storage to Hyper-V deployments

If you have any further inquiries about Hyper-V Storage options, please visit the Windows Hyper-V Forum here.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 14, 2015 2:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In order to use .VHD or .VHDX files in DPM 2012 R2 storage pool, the DPM server needs to be running in a virtual machine (VM).   Windows Hyper-V does not support attaching .VHD / .VHDX files located on CIFS storage.  Hyper-V  does support SMB 3.0 - so see if that is an option.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 4:03 PM
  • Uhm, I'm not quite understanding your answer. First you say I can add vhds to a storage pool if DPM is running on a VM (it currently is) - then you say that Hyper-V does not support attaching vhds from CIFS... but it does support SMB3.0?

So... just to be clear, should I attach the VHD to the VM "outside" the guest OS (i.e. attach it as a secondary disk in Hyper-V manager/SCVMM) instead of attaching it on the "inside" of the guest OS (i.e. within the VM running DPM?)

If the former I need to set up share somehow for my clustered nodes because we're not using the backup storage for our VM storage...

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 9:01 PM
  • Hi,

You can setup a remote SMB share and store the .VHD files on that, and attach them to the guest VM in Hyper-V.  DPM would see the disks in disk management and you can add them to the DPM storage pool.

See the following article.

SMB 3.0 brings enterprise-class storage to Hyper-V deployments

If you have any further inquiries about Hyper-V Storage options, please visit the Windows Hyper-V Forum here.

Thursday, May 14, 2015 2:13 PM
  • Managed to figure this out... I need a SMB3 share connected to the HyperV HOST cluster, make a large VHD on that share and "attach" it as a drive to the VirtualMachine. The Guest OS/VM running DPM will then think it's a regular drive.

I was trying to "mount"/"attach" the .VHD "drive" WITHIN the Guest OS/VM.

So I'm out of luck since our Dedup storage only support CIFS 1.5 (and since it was updated in April I highly doubt they intend to support SMB3 :()

Friday, May 22, 2015 12:39 PM