none
shortcut for linking the tasks RRS feed

• Question

• hi!

is there a way to link the tasks as start to finish?

i know the ctrl+f2 for linking finish to start 

Thanks

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:31 PM

Answers

• For this kind of text editing, you need concatenation. You can do it in a spare text field in MSP, or copy the whole predecessor column (or big chunks of it) from MSP, paste it into EXCEL, make a formula to edit the text then copy the result and paste it back into MSP.

If you send me the file I can do this in about 5 minutes. trevorATperfectproject.com.au

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 9:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Selcukz,

No, there is no such a shortcut to create a SF link. If you want to use a shortcut, you'll have to create a FS link with CTRL F2 and then 

• edit the link by doubleclicking on it in the Gantt chart and change the link type,
    • or edit the link in the predecessor field and replace FS by SF
    • or edit the successor properties and change the link type in the predecessor tab

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:39 PM
  • Thanks Guillaume for your help, unfortunately i have 1300 tasks :( 
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 3:28 PM
  • Then try doing a "find and replace" (ctrl F) on the predecessor column, replacing "FS" by "SF".

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 3:38 PM
  • there is a problem i think, because when i select the predecessor type as FS, i cannot see the "number"FS in the predecessor column. I can only see the ID number which i linked. How can project find "FS" in the column?

You can see the capturesand when i click the replace:

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 4:07 PM
  • Indeed you're right, my apologize.. The default link type (FS) is not displayed in the predecessor column.

The solution would be to create a VB macro then.

Just for my concern, as far as I've experienced, using SF link is pretty singular. Does it correspond to a business need? What is exactly your context? Because this might be solve by another scheduling workaround (schedule from finish date for instance).

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 4:41 PM
  • Thanks,

In the construction, the mechanical works should finish before the ceiling works. I know the ceiling works have must start date.And i want to finish the mechanical works at that day.And i have too much rooms in the construction. I know the every room's mechanical work duration.  I will come finish to start.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 6:00 PM
  • For this kind of text editing, you need concatenation. You can do it in a spare text field in MSP, or copy the whole predecessor column (or big chunks of it) from MSP, paste it into EXCEL, make a formula to edit the text then copy the result and paste it back into MSP.

If you send me the file I can do this in about 5 minutes. trevorATperfectproject.com.au

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 9:21 AM
  • Hi Trevor,

I did it by copying into excel and concantenate formula helped me. Thanks

Sunday, February 9, 2014 5:53 AM
  • That's great. Thanks for letting us know that you followed the advice and it worked.

Can you please click "propose as answer"?

Sunday, February 9, 2014 7:38 PM