IPSEC/L2TP VPN broken after November update RRS feed

• Question

• I have a VPN connection that worked fine up until I received the big November update yesterday for Windows 10.  It's an IPSEC/L2TP VPN, and it looks like it's going to connect fine, but then gives me "A connection to the remote computer could not be established.  You might need to change the network settings for this connection."

If I "break" my password, it detect it, so I'm obviously talking to the VPN server successfully.  I've reinstalled network adaptors and L2TP miniports.  It's a Dell XPS 8700 with a Dell 1703 wireless adaptor.  I only mention that because I have a 2nd PC on which the VPN still works fine, and it also received the update.  So it makes me think it's an issue with the drivers on this machine specifically.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Bret

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:21 PM

Answers

• For the greater good, here is what solved this issue.

First, I tried completely deleting the driver for the network adaptor and letting Windows 10 reinstall it on reboot.  No help.  Second, I tried deleting just the WAN Miniport (L2TP).  No help.  

What ended up working was deleting ALL of the Wan Miniports and rebooting.  Once I did that, the VPN magically worked again.

Bret

• Marked as answer by BretHawkins Friday, December 4, 2015 2:01 PM
    Friday, December 4, 2015 2:01 PM

All replies

• Try deleting the drivers completely from Device Manager and then install the latest from the manufacturers website.

• Launch Device Manager
    • Located the network driver with the problem driver installed, right click and choose Uninstall
    • In the uninstall dialog, check the box to delete the driver for this device if available

It also may be reverting to a broken driver. In that case see:  How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10

-

Hessam
    Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
    Windows for IT Pros on TechNet

• Edited by Zen the Ocelot Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:57 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Thursday, December 3, 2015 8:30 AM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:56 PM
  • For the greater good, here is what solved this issue.

First, I tried completely deleting the driver for the network adaptor and letting Windows 10 reinstall it on reboot.  No help.  Second, I tried deleting just the WAN Miniport (L2TP).  No help.  

What ended up working was deleting ALL of the Wan Miniports and rebooting.  Once I did that, the VPN magically worked again.

Bret

• Marked as answer by BretHawkins Friday, December 4, 2015 2:01 PM
    Friday, December 4, 2015 2:01 PM