none
GPO - Turn off using compatibility lists from Microsoft RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I currently have a mixed environment of IE9, 10 and 11 and need to turn off and make unavailable to the users a few options. I was able to get everything done in IE9 but I am unable to get the last item for IE10 and IE11. I can't get "Use Microsoft compatibility lists" (IE11) and "Download updated compatibility lists from Microsoft" (IE10) to gray out. I have been trying to do this through GPO.

Below is a screenshot of the policy I made.  I created the policy as a Computer policy.  I tried to create a user one with the setting but that did not appear to help.  I have been trying to do research but have not gotten anywhere.  I've downloaded the latest ADM files.

Thank you all in advance.

Monday, September 14, 2015 3:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Brian,

Try switching "Turn on Internet Explorer 7 Standards Mode" from "Disabled" to Not Configured (this will delete the registry entry, rather than flipping a bit.) IE9 and higher should never use that setting (IE7/8 setting for "Display all sites in Compatibility View")

Also, I don't think "Turn on Internet Explorer Standards Mode for local Intranet" is applicable for IE9 and higher...

here is a screen shot from my OEM Win8 pro build of GPEdit. It appears that you have upgraded your server version of GPEdit...

If that doesn't work you have two possible options to troubleshoot.

Use Procmon to see which registry keys are read when the gpedit console reads the keys for that panel (Internet Explorer>Compatibility View).

Open the Admx files with a text editor to examine source script.... all of the validation logic is contained in the Admx files.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 3:13 AM
  • I would like to first thank you both for your responses.

@IECustomizer - I am sorry but nothing you suggested seemed to make a change within my environment.  I couldn't find anything through Procmon either that would give me an idea as to what is changing.

@yo mama - I thank you for taking the time to try out the suggestions as well.  I was afraid that this is just what it is though in terms of not graying out.  Though I did just discover something interesting.  I turned it on, close IE and reopened and the check box was cleared.  So while it lets me turn it on, it may not allow it to remain on.

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 4:27 PM
  • Hi,

Do you mean you want the two settings to grey out? If it does, we have tried to disable the group policy about “User compatibility lists”, and we get the same result with you. That is just can check it but not save.

Also, we have tried to do some modification under the path in registry.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\BrowserEmulation]

We attempted to modify the value key and change the permission for it, but we still cannot get the settings to grey out. After that, we consider that the settings in Internet Explorer is by design. We cannot just make the "Use Microsoft compatibility lists" and "Download updated compatibility lists from Microsoft" to grey out.

Best Regards

Simon  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by WoR_0407 Friday, March 11, 2016 3:02 PM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 8:47 AM