none
Project Server 2010 - Using existing databases RRS feed

• Question

• I'm scripting the install of sharepoint farm including Project Server 2010.  I prefer to create the databases manually so the sizes and growth properties are correct.  However, when creating a service applicaiton via Central Admin and letting it create the databases, it sets the database permissions whereas my databases dont have this so creating a project web later fails:

New-SPProjectWebInstance : Provisioning Failed - see the Application event Log.:
    Database provisioning failed.
    Failed to provision databases.
    Cannot open database "PS_Published" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user 'BUILD\SPFarm'.

Is there a way  I can use existing empty database or must I let Project Server create these?

Thanks

Peter G Jones, New Zealand
    Friday, December 10, 2010 7:23 PM

Answers

• I'm scripting the install of sharepoint farm including Project Server 2010.  I prefer to create the databases manually so the sizes and growth properties are correct.  However, when creating a service applicaiton via Central Admin and letting it create the databases, it sets the database permissions whereas my databases dont have this so creating a project web later fails:

New-SPProjectWebInstance : Provisioning Failed - see the Application event Log.:

Is there a way  I can use existing empty database or must I let Project Server create these?

Thanks

I'd suggest letting the install create and configure the databases, then if you want to control size and growth later you can do so.
    Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    • Marked as answer by Jonesie Friday, December 10, 2010 10:34 PM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 8:34 PM

All replies

Thanks

I'd suggest letting the install create and configure the databases, then if you want to control size and growth later you can do so.
    Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    • Marked as answer by Jonesie Friday, December 10, 2010 10:34 PM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 8:34 PM
  • Yeah, I thought that might be the answer.. it was worth asking.

I think I will update my script to fixup the databases after all the services are configured.

Cheers

Friday, December 10, 2010 10:36 PM
  • Why not simply grant BUILD\SPFarm DBO(wnership) as required? You will have to do the same thing when migrating between domains, anyway...
    • Edited by Rune Mariboe Monday, October 8, 2012 12:12 PM Added "between domains"
    • Proposed as answer by Rune Mariboe Thursday, December 6, 2012 3:43 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 12:12 PM