EMET 5.0 Installer "interrupted" and reverses RRS feed

• Question

• I've searched the forum and have not found this specific issue. Upon 5.0 installation, the installer reads "The installer was interrupted before EMET 5.0 could be installed", then reverses. EMET 4.1 was previously uninstalled and rebooted. A/V is turned off. All machines are Vista. Has anyone encountered this issue?
    Wednesday, August 13, 2014 4:03 PM

All replies

• Can you give some more information on how you install EMET? Is it a manual/attended installation or a unattended installation? Did you check the application event log for errors? Is Microsoft .NET Framework 4 installed?

Maybe you can try to create a verbose installation log with the following command:

msiexec /i "EMET Setup.msi" /L*v c:\temp\EMET5.log

W. Spu

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 5:32 PM
  • This was a manual installation.  .NET already installed as 4.1 Update 1 was already installed. Uninstalled 4.1, rebooted, and disabled A/V. Here are the errors in the log:

DEBUG: Error 2826:  Control BannerBmp on dialog FatalErrorForm extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right by 3 pixels
    The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2826. The arguments are: FatalErrorForm, BannerBmp, to the right
    DEBUG: Error 2826:  Control Line2 on dialog FatalErrorForm extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right by 3 pixels
    The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2826. The arguments are: FatalErrorForm, Line2, to the right
    DEBUG: Error 2826:  Control Line1 on dialog FatalErrorForm extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right by 3 pixels
    The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2826. The arguments are: FatalErrorForm, Line1, to the right

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 7:35 PM
  • The real error isn't in the lines you posted but somewhere above those lines. Can you submit an issue through the Microsoft Connet EMET feedback page (https://connect.microsoft.com/emet/Feedback) and attach the complete log file? You can also try to analyze the log file by using the Wilogutl.exe (see also http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372811%28v=vs.85%29.aspx) which you can get by installing the 'Win32 Development Tools' feature from the Windows SDK.

W. Spu

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 9:01 PM
  • Thanks for your help. I'm getting a page not found on your link to the EMET feedback page. Is there a direct email link?
    Wednesday, August 13, 2014 10:19 PM
  • The link should be correct. You can also find a reference to the the EMET Connect Portal on the  Announcing EMET 5.0 page.

When I searched the internet for the error I found some information that the Debug Error 2826 is a non-critical error and is normally ignored during an installation. Probably there is another reason for the rollback of the installation.
    The error could have something to do with the lack of rights for Windows Installer to perform certain custom actions. It could be that an A/V is preventing those actions but this is normally not the case and in this case you have disabled the A/V. I assume that you are running the installation with administrative rights but could it be that you don't have enough rights to install the EMET service? Did you already try the installation with another account like the local administrator account?

W. Spu

Thursday, August 14, 2014 7:16 AM