none
Windows 8.1 Pro with VMWare Workstation 8, Windows security updates, Standard User, mouse click issue

Question

• Hello, The environment is as follows:

Windows 8.1 Pro with certain security updates installed causes an issue for Standard users using VMWare Workstation 8 where the mouse clicks that are meant for a VM, are not registered by the VM every time, sometimes it takes 4 to 5 clicks to register in the VM and then other times you have to move the mouse outside the VM window and bring it back in for the mouse clicks to register. This issue is not present for Administrator users.

I have already narrowed down one update specifically that causes this issue, by uninstalling all security updates, the problem went away, as I installed one update at a time back on to the system, update KB3087039 triggered the issue, I thought this was a resolution, to just keep that update off my end users machines, but when I installed the rest of the security updates, excluding that update, the issue returned.

I could uninstall and reinstall and narrow this down further, but my main concern is that one, this may create security issues that these updates are intended to fix, and two, that would create a lot of administrative overhead, especially if more security updates in the future will cause the issue to return.

I would like for Microsoft to investigate this issue and either fix the problem with these updates or come up with a new update I can deploy that fixes this problem, if such an update already exists, I would greatly appreciate to be pointed in its direction either by KB number or download link so I can deploy it to fix this issue.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 2:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Since it works fine in administrator account, have you tried run the VMware as administrator to check the issue? It seems that the user profile cause it.

You can create another new standard user account and run the program in the new account. If it works in the new account, please follow the steps to fix user profile.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7

Please Note: Although the link above is applied to Windows 7, it also applied to Windows 8.1.

If it doesn't work in another user account. Maybe the VMware may have compatibility issue with standard user account. You have to reinstall the latest VMware and then test it. Also, you can contact the VMware Vendor for further help.

In addition to that, Hyper-V is managed by Microsoft, and it will be more compatible with Windows System, you can choose to use Hyper-V if you are willing to.

Hope that can help you.

Best Regards

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 3:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Since the issue occurred after the updates installed, could you please tell us what updates you installed so that we can help you better? Does the issue exits for all standard users and are the standard users for physical machine or visual machine? Does the updates installed on physical machine or the visual machine?

Before we know that, we suggest you run VMware as administrator if the issue occurs in standard user for physical. You can also install the updates one by one so that you can determine which update cause the issue if you have enough time. 

In addition to that, the issue occurs in VMware and VMware is not managed by Microsoft. I suggest you use Hyper-V to test the issue due to Hyper-V may be more compatible than VMware with these updates.

Wish you have a nice day.

Best Regards

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 3:11 AM
  • Hey Simon,

Thanks for the reply, here is a least of KB #'s I have narrowed down that cause this issue, the updates are installed on the HOST not the VM.

KB3087039

KB3078601

KB3037579

Thanks

Monday, November 9, 2015 4:46 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Since it works fine in administrator account, have you tried run the VMware as administrator to check the issue? It seems that the user profile cause it.

You can create another new standard user account and run the program in the new account. If it works in the new account, please follow the steps to fix user profile.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7

Please Note: Although the link above is applied to Windows 7, it also applied to Windows 8.1.

If it doesn't work in another user account. Maybe the VMware may have compatibility issue with standard user account. You have to reinstall the latest VMware and then test it. Also, you can contact the VMware Vendor for further help.

In addition to that, Hyper-V is managed by Microsoft, and it will be more compatible with Windows System, you can choose to use Hyper-V if you are willing to.

Hope that can help you.

Best Regards

Simon

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 3:29 AM