unable to upgrade from server 2016 technical preview 4 to 2016 technical preview 5 RRS feed

• Question

• as time is expiring for tech preview number 4 we wanted to upgrade to tp 5 until server 2016 is released on msdn. today i attempted to upgrade to tp5 and it is currently coming back saying that the key does not work.

is their another key that will work to upgrade the box?

currently trying the  static activation key that ends in 72V67

any suggestions on how i can upgrade this to tp5 as it expires in approx 8 days.

Friday, October 7, 2016 9:32 PM

Answers

• yep using the latest rtm release.

will likely just nuke the box and start fresh outside of windows and see how it goes.

nuked the machine installed fine.
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 2:16 PM

All replies

• That is a the Datacenter key, did you install Datacenter?

Saying that there is no way to upgrade as far as I am aware, if that install does continue believe it will erase the current system and install a clean new server. It used to say as much on the Preinstall Information on the Server 2016 TP5 page on the TechNet Evaluation Center.

• Edited by -Mr Happy- Saturday, October 8, 2016 3:29 PM
    Saturday, October 8, 2016 3:28 PM
  • yes the edition installed is datacenter. As to the upgrade I went from tp 1 to tp4 without issues would expect to be able to goto tp5 as well.

Monday, October 10, 2016 2:57 PM
  • Hi,

Windows Server 2016 is available for evaluation now, evaluation edition (version 14393), different from the previous Technical Preview 5 (14300.1000.160324-1723.RS1_RELEASE_SVC_SERVER_OEMRET_X64FRE_EN-US.ISO)

Have a clean installation instead of upgrading. 

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 8:18 AM
  • that would be fine if i was trying to install the evaluation version and not tp5. i see that vlsc and msdn have now dropped the final versions ill give a try with these and see how it goes.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 4:57 PM
  • still broken on the rtm images.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2016 5:50 PM
  • Can you define still broken?

As I said in the my first post there is no upgrade path, you need to do a clean install.

Also I did the RTM Eval setup on the TP5 server, it installed fine. Erased the server with not much warning (just I couldn't keep my personnel files \ apps) and install a clean server over the top erasing a Domain Controller. So no upgrade.

• Edited by -Mr Happy- Wednesday, October 12, 2016 9:12 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2016 9:09 PM
  • still broken is defined by the fact i run the setup in windows and it tells me the key does not work as pic shows on top of post.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 10:52 PM
  • Running from the Eval 14393 RMT ISO give no key prompt for me, so not sure what is different. Can you check you are using the latest RTM 14393 release.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 11:39 PM
  • yep using the latest rtm release.

will likely just nuke the box and start fresh outside of windows and see how it goes.

nuked the machine installed fine.
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 2:16 PM