none
Can ping only with IPv6 Link Local Address

Question

• I'm doing some test with IPv6 for a small office.

I made a network of few devices with a Windows 2016 DHCPv6 Server, another Windows 2016 Server, 1 Windows 10 Workstation and other networked devices.

This LAN has no Internet Access and no router.

I assigned a "fixed" IPv6 address to DHCPv6 server in the range fdce:...., added a scope with equal prefix and prefix length of 64, configured reservations and options, and the DHCPv6 successfully assigns addresses to all computers and devices.

But when I try to ping one device from another with fdce:.... address, the ping fails (timeout or, sometimes "general error / transmission failed"). The ping with the link local address fe80::... succeed.

Not sure if this is useful but "netsh int ipv6 show neigh" show some address as "not up to date".

Any idea? Am I missing something?

Thursday, January 11, 2018 3:54 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Please try to disable the firewall on both machines and then check again.

Also ,check the event log to see if there are something related for us to troubleshooting.

Based on the complexity and the specific situation, we need do more researches. If we have any updates or any thoughts about this issue, we will keep you posted as soon as possible. Your kind understanding is appreciated. If you have further information during this period, you could post it on the forum, which help us understand and analyze this issue comprehensively.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 12, 2018 9:15 AM
  • Hi,

thanks for reply. I made some further test and found that in DHCPv6 clients a fdce::.../64 route is missing.

Running on DHCPv6 Server

Get-NetAdapter -Physical | Set-NetRoute -AddressFamily IPv6 -DestinationPrefix "$prefix::/$prefixLength" -Publish Yes

temporary solves, but apparently only until next reboot/restart of the server.

What is the correct/supported way to handle this scenario?

Friday, January 12, 2018 9:41 AM