Not able to extend D partition RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Windows 7 with the built in Disk management application. When doing so, I'm perfectly fine to shrink C partition, but I'm not able to extend the D partition with the space taken from C partition. Why is that? Is there a workaround?

I've also posted some screenshots (Norwegian), I assume that there should be no problem reading the screenshots as you have the same menus on English. If not, let me know so I can change to English language and re-post the screenshots.

I would also like to add I work with computers daily, is there any advanced troubleshooting that can solve the issue, let me know.

http://bildr.no/view/626294

http://bildr.no/view/626297

Monday, April 12, 2010 4:53 PM

Answers

• Using the built-in Shrink/Extend tools, you are only able to Extend a partition using contiguous, unallocated space that appears to its right, otherwise the option is greyed out. However, by moving the unallocated space from partition to partition, any standard partition can be extended.

What you need to do is:
    1. Format the 42.65GB and allocate, say, letter L
    2. Copy the contents of the D drive to L
    3. Delete partition D
    4. Extend the L partition to incorporate the old D
    5. Reletter L as D

• Marked as answer by Toven Monday, April 12, 2010 7:03 PM
    Monday, April 12, 2010 6:00 PM

All replies

• Using the built-in Shrink/Extend tools, you are only able to Extend a partition using contiguous, unallocated space that appears to its right, otherwise the option is greyed out. However, by moving the unallocated space from partition to partition, any standard partition can be extended.

What you need to do is:
    1. Format the 42.65GB and allocate, say, letter L
    2. Copy the contents of the D drive to L
    3. Delete partition D
    4. Extend the L partition to incorporate the old D
    5. Reletter L as D

• Marked as answer by Toven Monday, April 12, 2010 7:03 PM
    Monday, April 12, 2010 6:00 PM
  • When I tried to make an partition for the 42.65GB it gives me the following error code: Invalid package name

Monday, April 12, 2010 7:03 PM