none
Is Pausing and Saving a guest VM the same operation as make it sleep or hibernate?

Question

• Hey dear professionals:

I need to make some automated test on the scenario that sleep a windows 10 and awake it. But after doing some research, I realized that the 'Sleep' or 'Hibernate' option is not available in Hyper-V guest VM. Instead, I noticed that it seems like the operations 'Pause' and 'Save' are equivalent to 'Sleep' and 'Hibernate'. So I want to confirm is this true?

My hyper-v host is win10 enterprise, and guest vms are win10 home.

抽象,封装,继承,多态 …… 过有激情的生活

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:18 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Pausing will hold the Virtual Machine in the current state when you hit the Pause button and also keep it in RAM but frees up the processor. Saving will also hold the virtual machine in the current state but it frees up the processor and RAM too.

But Pause and Save is an operation at hyper-v host level .

As for the VM , it is "frozen" .

It is not equal to sleep/hibernate (it is an operation at VM OS level ).

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Radek Tylich Thursday, April 20, 2017 7:07 AM
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:57 AM
  • Hibernate on a physical machine is similar to Save on a virtual machine.  Both write the state of the running operating system to a disk file so that it can be restored to its exact state at a later point in time.  Hibernate on a physical, like Save on a virtual can both restore the state of the machine after a power cycle.  If you pause or sleep a machine, then turn of the physical system on which the machine is running, you lose the state of the VM and it will need to boot in order to start the operation of the machine again.

tim

Thursday, April 20, 2017 2:02 PM