Windows Domain controller 2003 to 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Community Members,

I have a small office wherein I have a router and three lan switches (10.0.0.0/24) with 2 bare metal servers running VMs of WIN2003 domain controller and WIN2019 domain controller in separate bare metal servers. When I installed the WIN2019 in the same domain, the AD got replicate in 2019 from 2003. Is this a normal behavior? I have the router as a DHCP server and WIN2003 as DNS, Users are experiencing connection time out to a file server in the same domain.. DHCP in router and DNS in WINDC could cause a connection timeout for users? All that I could find is server IP is getting resolved to different hostname in nslookup from the user PC. Could you please clarify this.

Regards,

Raj

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 8:31 PM

All replies

• Hello Raj,

Thank you for posting in our TechNet forum.

Q1: When I installed the WIN2019 in the same domain, the AD got replicate in 2019 from 2003. Is this a normal behavior?

A1: To check if AD replication is working properly, we could run repadmin /showrepl and repadmin /replsumon every DC. 

When we add a Windows Server 2019 Domain Controller,  the minimum requirement to add a Windows Server 2019 Domain Controller is a Windows Server 2008 functional level. The domain also has to use DFS-R as the engine to replicate SYSVOL. So before we add 2019 DC to the existing domain, we need to ensure the functional level is at least Windows Server 2008, and the SYSVOL folder replication type is DFSR. 

As for the Windows Server 2003, it is out of support. It is suggested that we could upgrade to a currently supported operating system. 

Q2: DHCP in router and DNS in WINDC could cause a connection timeout for users?

A2: It is hard to say what cause a connection timeout for users based on my understanding. Before the configuration, is there the issue of connection timeout for users? It is suggested that we could capture package to troubleshoot this issue. 

For any question, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards,
    Hannah Xiong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 28, 2020 6:02 AM
  • Hello,

Does this question have any update or has this issue been solved? Also, for the question, is there any other assistance we could provide?

Thank you so much for your time and support.

Best regards,
    Hannah Xiong

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 1, 2020 8:07 AM
  • Hello,

I am checking how the issue is going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you so much for your time and support.

Best regards,
    Hannah Xiong

Wednesday, June 3, 2020 2:31 AM