Is there anyway to hide parts of the GUI? RRS feed

• Question

• Take the My Computer as an example

Once it's setup the ALT+F Menu is hidden however I can't find a way to hide the Search Content box, Address bar, nor the bar under it that contains the Organize drop down list adn the quick shortcuts to Preview pane nor the view list?

I might just be overlooking it tho.

Saturday, January 2, 2010 1:20 PM

Answers

Once it's setup the ALT+F Menu is hidden however I can't find a way to hide the Search Content box, Address bar, nor the bar under it that contains the Organize drop down list adn the quick shortcuts to Preview pane nor the view list?

Hi Lori

These elements cannot be hidden.

What you can do, when you have a Window Explorer window open is press the F11 Key to go to full screen mode.

This will hide everything except the Command Bar. The address bar and searech bar will still be there, but will not appear unless you move the cursor to the top of the screen.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, January 4, 2010 8:29 AM
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 5:57 PM

All replies

• I don't think many of those parts of the UI are customizable.  You might be able to modify them signifcantly with a 3rd party program such as WindowBlinds by StarDock.

From what I've seen though, most of those themes simply change the style, and won't hide UI elements.  Some appear that they might, if it's important enough to purchase the program.  It might not hurt to download the trial and see if you like it.

If this was helpful, please vote. If it solves the issue, please click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 5:31 PM

Hi Lori

These elements cannot be hidden.

What you can do, when you have a Window Explorer window open is press the F11 Key to go to full screen mode.

This will hide everything except the Command Bar. The address bar and searech bar will still be there, but will not appear unless you move the cursor to the top of the screen.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, January 4, 2010 8:29 AM
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 5:57 PM