RDS Connections from XP/Vista Clients Fail RRS feed

• Question

• Should an XP or Vista machine be able to use an RDS connection from the Portal?  I've seen reponses that indicate only Windows 7 is supported, but now the Remote Desktop Connection 7.0 client update is out. 

I've tried from XP and Vista with the 7.0 client update, but I get the error - "An error occurred while sending data to the Remote Desktop Gateway server. The server is temporarily unavailable or a network connection is down. Try again later, or contact your network administrator for assistance."

It works from a Windows 7 machine.

We've got lots of users running Vista 64-bit that would be happy to be able to use RDS to connect vs. having to use SSTP, etc.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 12:13 AM

Answers

• Hi Ken,

You are correct in that the remote Desktop Connection 7.0 client update is out (
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969084) however, unfortunately, this update is still missing a piece needed in order for these clients to be able to work with the UAG portal as a Remote Desktop Gateway.

So at this moment, Vista and XP clients are still not able to use an RDS connection from a UAG portal, and we are waiting for another update to be released by the TS team.

-Ran

• Marked as answer by Ken Carvel Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:32 PM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 10:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Ken,

You are correct in that the remote Desktop Connection 7.0 client update is out (
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969084) however, unfortunately, this update is still missing a piece needed in order for these clients to be able to work with the UAG portal as a Remote Desktop Gateway.

So at this moment, Vista and XP clients are still not able to use an RDS connection from a UAG portal, and we are waiting for another update to be released by the TS team.

-Ran

• Marked as answer by Ken Carvel Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:32 PM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 10:13 AM
  • Ran,

Do you know what the timeframe is for that update?

Thanks,
    Ken
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 10:51 AM
  • No, Ken, sorry but I have no information about the timeframe for that update.

-Ran
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:14 PM
  • This probably isn't a problem for you any longer but for anyone else that comes across this error perhaps KB 951608 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951608/) will be helpful for them.

I had the same error while connecting from an XP SP3 machine to our 2008R2 server through a TS Gateway server. Making the registry changes to enable CredSSP on the client fixed the problem for me.

• Edited by Jagster Tuesday, November 16, 2010 4:06 PM spelling
    • Proposed as answer by BryanScott Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:48 PM
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 4:04 PM
  • Thanks for that Jagster, I had to make those registry changes on an XP SP3 machine too.
    Monday, September 12, 2011 4:41 PM
  • This worked for me as well. Thanks Jagster!
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:48 PM