Outlook 2016 - How do I add a Full-Function Calendar to IMAP Account? RRS feed

• Question

• I added several IMAP e-mail accounts to Outlook 2016 that already had one exchange e-mail account on it, however the new IMAP accounts included only the inbox, and did not include a Calendar or Contacts.

I then created calendar and contacts folders under the accounts, and imported the data into them.  The Contacts seemed to work properly, however the Calendar seems to be a "lite" version of a real calendar.  Many menu items seem to be missing.

When making appointments in the new calendar, several context menus items are not available (category color, file operations, etc.)  I tried to add these items into the ribbon, however they do not work.

I have included a screen capture of the two calendar item headers.  The top one is the normal calendar from the exchange account, the bottom one is the added calendar.  Note missing category and emoji.

How do I add a full-feature Calendar to an IMAP account?

Outlook 2016 Calendar Item Headers

Monday, February 19, 2018 2:57 PM

All replies

• You can't as the IMAP protocol itself doesn't support Calendars. What you created is a local Calendar in your IMAP data store. This Calendar doesn't sync with your IMAP server either nor is it used by your IMAP account to process incoming Meeting Requests. As IMAP doesn't support features like Color Categories either, this option isn't available either.

For full Calendar synching and related features, you'll need an Exchange account such as Outlook.com (free).

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, February 20, 2018 3:40 PM
    Monday, February 19, 2018 6:02 PM
  • These folders are the local copies only.

In the past, when I created an e-mail account on Outlook, either POP or IMAP, folders for local Calendar and Contacts were created along with the account.  The calendar and contacts were local copies only, however they were fully functional folders.

This is what I am trying to achieve now.

The folders I created manually are truncated versions of the the calendar and contacts that were created as defaults in the past.  I am unable to figure out why there is a difference, and how to correct it.

Saturday, February 24, 2018 3:40 PM
  • Hi JGreg,

As Robert has mentioned, this is the limitation of the IMAP protocol. 

>>In the past, when I created an e-mail account on Outlook, either POP or IMAP, folders for local Calendar and Contacts were created along with the account.

This is correct. You may try to set up your IMAP account in a separate Outlook mail profile and you will also see the same result.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Wednesday, February 28, 2018 9:50 AM
    Monday, February 26, 2018 10:11 AM
  • Thank you for your response, however I seem to be missing something.  Please forgive me for being dense.

I have just changed computers.  The original computer uses Windows 7 and office 2010.  The same IMAP account (and several others) are loaded onto the single Outlook profile.  (Without the exchange account)

In this case, I have the normal, full-function calendar and contacts as I expect.

Loading these same accounts onto the new computer, with an additional exchange account, results in no calendar or contacts.  I can add these folders manually, however they are incomplete versions.  In the previous installation (old computer), these folders were created automatically when I created the first e-mail account.

Same IMAP account was used for both, the old computer worked, the new one does not.

I am unclear why the calendar and contacts is not created on the new computer as it was for the old computer.  Is this a problem with the exchange account?

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 10:57 PM
  • This appears to remain unanswered?  It seems odd to simply stop a year ago without any response.

I have the exact same issue and would love to learn how this could be resolved.  is there a link or more feedback on this issue?

Thursday, March 7, 2019 12:52 AM
  • What exactly isn't clear to you?

IMAP doesn't support the synching of Calendar folders. If you add an IMAP account as your first account then a default Calendar folder is created in the IMAP store which of course is only a local copy. Any additional IMAP or POP3 account will also use this default Calendar. You can't assigned a default Calendar per IMAP/POP3 account. Exchange (including Outlook.com) accounts have their own Calendar per mailbox.

As the Calendar in the IMAP store can easily be lost and is not-recoverable, it is recommended to store this in a separate pst-file instead. For instructions see: Don’t risk losing your Contacts and Calendar when using IMAP in Outlook 2013, 2016, 2019, or Office 365

Monday, March 11, 2019 3:24 PM
  • What if you delete all of the accounts and load the IMAP account first, which would create a local calendar and then add the Exchange account.  Would that change anything?  Would I then have both calendars in my Outlook?  I have the same issue.
    Wednesday, May 8, 2019 1:25 PM
  • What if you delete all of the accounts and load the IMAP account first, which would create a local calendar and then add the Exchange account.  Would that change anything?  Would I then have both calendars in my Outlook?  I have the same issue.
    See the reply I gave above your own post; You'd risk losing your Calendar and Contacts folder then.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 3:46 PM
  • I came across this topic after doing a search for "when will outlook support calendar for imap mailboxes" and since it's relatively recent, figured I'd add to the discussion.  The short answer here unfortunately comes across as the somewhat common IT explanation that can be summarized as "It doesn't work that way because we didn't design it to work that way."  Unfortunately that doesn't really address the usage case of the end user that doesn't really care whether or not the designer had that in mind.  The fact that the IMAP protocol doesn't support calendars, etc. doesn't change the fact that users of Outlook expect to be able to have calendars in their Outlook mailboxes and to be able to do things like flagging a message for follow up (with a date/time) like they can do on an Exchange mailbox or a POP3 mailbox.  Leaving out the obvious fact that Microsoft wants to sell Exchange servers, the choice to make an IMAP OST be ONLY a cache of the server and not extend it beyond that is really a developer (Microsoft) decision and not necessarily due to a limitation of IMAP.  I'm sure there are some arguments to be had over the security features of not allowing migration of OSTs and just requiring synchronization from the servers, but that doesn't change the fact that it COULD have been done differently, and could still be fixed.

Most ISP mail servers support using either POP or IMAP protocols.  In my old RoadRunner account where Time Warner had a storage limit on the e-mail server, I never changed off of POP since leaving messages on the server would quickly cause bounces to occur.  However, on my on hosted domain with unlimited storage, I like to take advantage of the fact that IMAP lets me leave the messages up there and check my e-mail remotely from a web interface if I wish.  The question is, why in the world should the user experience in Outlook need to be any different?  If the extra information (in fact ALL of the information) for the POP e-mail account is being stored in the local PST file, why can't I do the same thing with IMAP.  I don't care that I can't see my local calendar from the web e-mail interface.  That's fine.  That's not what it's for.  But why can't Outlook do what Outlook does?  It's almost like we're being penalized because IMAP is just a bit too close to having an Exchange server, so we best not let anyone think they don't need Exchange.  Better slap them down a bit for using IMAP!  Heck, if they want to keep the same security measures, etc. with an OST, that's fine.  Just give me an option to use IMAP with a PST folder.  I'll take care of the file on my local machine.  I just want to use IMAP to get the data from the server into that file.  What's the harm in that?!!

Thanks,

Beo

And note that I'm fully aware that I can have a SEPARATE local PST (after all, I still have one tied to the one POP server).  But that doesn't let me set a reminder on an e-mail in the IMAP based OST.

Saturday, August 24, 2019 12:57 AM