Network Path was not found after defining SQL information; unable to progress in setup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are unable to progress in the install of SCCM 2012. We are trying to install SCCM 2012 on a Windows 2003 domain (the schema has been extended) for the first primary site server. Primary site (stand alone) server is a Windows 2008 R2 system; SQL is remote and is hosted on a Windows 2003 MCSC x64 cluster running SQL 2008 SP1 CU6. The SQL configuration is instanced named and is set to run on a specific port.

Logged in as the "SMS Admin service account" (which is a local admin on the site server and has sysadmin role rights to the SQL instance), progressing through the install wizard up until the 'Database Information' screen goes well. At this screen is where we are stuck. The FQDN of the server name is entered in along with the instance name and then the database name we would like. When I click 'Next>', an error prompt appears stating "The network path was not found." Looking in the "ConfigMgrSetupWizard" log file on the root drive, here is what it contains (I removed the names of our systems and replaced it with the [entity_type]):

6/8/2012 4:04:58 PM: ConfigMgrSetupWizard Information: 1 : Creating SQL connection to database [instance_name]\master on server [fqdn].
    6/8/2012 4:04:58 PM: ConfigMgrSetupWizard Error: 1 : Exception message: [The network path was not found.
    ], Exception details: [System.IO.IOException: The network path was not found.

Server stack trace:
       at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32ErrorStatic(Int32 errorCode, String str)
       at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenRemoteBaseKey(RegistryHive hKey, String machineName)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.ConfigMgr.Setup.DatabaseUtility.GetSqlConnection(String databaseName, String serverName, Boolean encrypt)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.ConfigMgr.Setup.DatabaseUtility.CheckSqlConnection(String serverName, String instanceName)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.ConfigMgr.Setup.CheckSqlAsync.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.ConfigMgr.Setup.DatabasePage.ValidatePage()
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.ConfigMgr.SetupFramework.WizardForm.ActivatePage(String pageId, Boolean goingNext)
       at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
       at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
       at System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
       at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(MouseButtonEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
       at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
       at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args, RoutedEvent newEvent)
       at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
       at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
       at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean trusted)
       at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
       at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input)
       at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
       at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawMouseActions actions, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 wheel)
       at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)].

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Eric

Friday, June 8, 2012 9:52 PM

All replies

• I forgot to add, I can make a connection to the SQL server via a mock ODBC connection. I can connect to the SQL server by instance name and even by the direct port - no issues either way.
    Friday, June 8, 2012 11:05 PM
  • All I can think of is whether SQL is running as SYSTEM, and if not has the SPN been registered?

http://lab.technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh427336.aspx

Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:03 AM
  • Did you every find a solution to  your issue, I am having the same problem.
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 6:01 AM
  • Can you please describe your exact issue, what error messages you are getting, what the log files say, what your configuration is, etc. Same you have the "same" issue is pretty meaningless and is not necessarily the case.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:58 PM
  • Hi Warzer,

We had to move SQL to a Windows 2008 server - the OS behind SQL does matter. I found the reason why sometime ago but do not recall it currently.

HTH.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:02 PM