none
App-v 5 Client – User Can’t access globally published app.

Question

• Hi Guys,

As the title says, I’ve published a globally (computer targeted) enabled package to a couple of computers & was able to successfully run them using an admin account.

But when I try to run the packages using a normal user account, I get the following error:

I’ve had no issues with deploying packages that target users. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Edited by Billy Goat Friday, January 18, 2013 12:00 PM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 9:35 AM

Answers

• Update 1:-

Seems to be an issue with roaming profiles/DFS

Created a brand new ad user & assigned access to the troubled published package (filezilla) using a pre-configured security group. Logged onto the user and was able to access & run filezilla app-v package. Logged off the user, than configured the user for roaming profiles, than logged back on the user & BANG couldn’t access filezilla app-v package. I now get the message described in the OP.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:53 AM

All replies

• How did you publish the app? (What are you using to publish? What command did you use)
    • Does the user have read access to the package source (where the .appv file is located)?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Friday, January 18, 2013 11:07 AM
  •  

How did you publish the app? (What are you using to publish? What command did you use)

I used the App-V Server Web Management console to deploy the package & then rebooted the target machine. No commands used. 

Does the user have read access to the package source (where the .appv file is located)

Yes, the user can access  the package source (authenticated users have read access) & the cached source (C:\ProgramData\App-V\%packageID%\%versionid%\)

• Edited by Billy Goat Friday, January 18, 2013 11:47 AM reads better
    Friday, January 18, 2013 11:27 AM
  • After some further testing, I have found that if I published the package to target a user instead of computer it still comes up with the same error. I have five other packages that are working perfectly and there was no difference in the way that I sequenced them.

I have only been tested these Packages on windows 7 Machines, so I decided to test it on a Windows 8 machine - they worked fine. So the packages won’t work on a windows 7 machine, but will on a windows 8 machine?

Monday, January 21, 2013 2:50 AM
  • This is the error that is generated in the appv -> Client -> admin log when tyring to launch the package:-

Process 4612 failed to start due to Virtual Filesystem subsystem failure. Package ID {}. Version ID {}. Error: 0x1525-0x57

• Edited by Billy Goat Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:19 AM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:38 AM
  • After Modifying 1/2 troubled packages by removing the option to interact with named & COM objects & republishing it, none of my Testing windows 7 clients can download the package, error generated is:- 

Part or all packages publish failed.
    published: 1
    failed: 6
    Please check the error events of 'Configure/Publish Package' before this message for the details of the failure.

But there is no Configure/Publish Package event message preceding this error...

The Published app is not showing up in the Virtual App’s windows for the App-v 5 client. The interesting thing is that my testing Windows 8 App-v Clients have no problem with downloading & running this published package….

Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:23 AM
  • Update 1:-

Seems to be an issue with roaming profiles/DFS

Created a brand new ad user & assigned access to the troubled published package (filezilla) using a pre-configured security group. Logged onto the user and was able to access & run filezilla app-v package. Logged off the user, than configured the user for roaming profiles, than logged back on the user & BANG couldn’t access filezilla app-v package. I now get the message described in the OP.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:53 AM
  • Sorry this is slightly off topic to your error but how are you doing the computer targeting?

I'm putting a group in the AD Access on the web manager that contains computer accounts I want the app to go to.  I don't get a shortcut and the app isn't listed in "Virtual Apps" on the App-V client manager.

If I use a group that contains users I do get the shortcut and it operates normally.  Any ideas?

Friday, January 25, 2013 12:11 AM
  • Figured it out.  I had global refresh disabled and apparently computer targeted apps are only synced on global refreshes.  

Enabled global refresh and refresh on logon, reboot and the shortcut appeared.

Friday, January 25, 2013 9:51 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking did you find a solution for this? experiencing the very same issue eg appdata roaming enabled and bang it breaks

app-v launches. In our environment we were using shared content mode and xenapp but essentially the issue (and error) is the same as what you seen there.

regards

Monday, March 04, 2013 3:49 PM