Dual Monitor issue RRS feed

• Question

• I am having an issue with running dual monitors that started when I upgraded to Windows 7 and I hope someone can help.  My original computer was running on a GeForce 7500 gtx card with a 21 inch Samsung monitor as its main display but I also had a 32" HP Monitor TV set up as a dual monitor via HDMI.  Soon after upgrading I found when I had the second monitor active my Samsung went black, but when I disconnected the second monitor the main started working again, but before too long the Samsung just went black and wouldn't work at all.  Since it was about time to upgrade my system anyway I got a new monitor (Planar) and hooked it up to my newer machine with an ATI card, everything seemed fine but within a week the same problem happened and now my Planar is black (am really hoping it isn't dead) and I had to unhook my second monitor and plug in a smaller backup monitor as my main just to access my system.  I can't figure out what is going on, why suddenly I cannot run my 32" monitor under the supposidly more advanced and wonderful Win 7 operating system when it was doing just fine under XP?  What I am seriously hoping is that there is a setting I am missing that is causing Win 7 to change some monitor setting making it go black because otherwise Win 7 has fried two monitors and that would not be cool.  I have tried everything I can think if...drivers are up to date, resolutions are set a recommended settings, done the windows button + p "extend" option setting thing and at my wits end.  I do not want to go out and buy a new monitor and setting up another dual setup and risk it getting fried until I know what is going on.  Thanks.
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 10:22 PM

Answers

• Odds are your monitor and TV are fine, have you checked them by plugging the cable from your working monitor into them yet?

Also something to check ATI Catalyst Control Center has a setup for dual monitors if you don't have it enabled it may not be sending a signal.

Are you using an HDMI cable with any of these connections? If so odds are the video card considers that one to be the main monitor unless you change the configuration within the ATI catalyst control center.

Another possibility is the the monitors that went black... were they set to use the proper connector? each of mine can use one of 4 different connections and only one of them will auto configure itself to an active connection.

just a few things you can look into hope it helps cause I run dual monitors constantly with no issues under Win 7 using an ATI card

Please remember to flag a post that helps you as "answer" so that it may help others with same problems. | My Technet Wiki Article

Microsoft Certified Professional, Windows 7 Configuration, Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Configuration

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, December 30, 2011 6:53 AM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 1:51 AM
  • A few suggestions:

• Ensure you have the newest video card driver (you probably do since you recently installed, but make sure anyway)
    • Install/download the drivers for the monitors too (they probably have drivers as well, especially the 32")
    • Fiddle with each monitor's control buttons, at the very least as a way to prove they're not fried (I'm talking about the buttons where you can set brighness/contrast, and importantly, input sources too).  At the lowest level, if the  on-screen-display from the menu buttons shows information, you know your monitors aren't dead. 
    • On the second level regarding the monitor control buttons, one of the controls or one of the buttons picks the input source.  Test each input source carefully, so see if for some reason, the auto-detecting isn't working as expected.  Plug something else from another computer or possibly a cable box into them, just to confirm they still work. 
    • If you're counting on auto-detect, maybe try restarting too.  And of course, also go through the process of elimination, including using only one monitor at a time first  (start with the non-TV one).
    • Right click your computer's desktop, and pick "screen resolution", and experiment with the settings you see there.  In particular, pay attention to which monitor is set to your "main display".  I'd suggest the non-TV as the default. 
    • As suggested by DirtyOldBeggar, possibly install the whole suite of ATI Catalyst software, if you haven't already.
    • You didn't mention the other cable involved or the resolution settings you're choosing.  Include those in your next post?   And also the model numbers of each monitor and of the ATI card too.  (It may not hurt to visit ATI's support forums too.  There may be good ideas there too).
    • And finally, if you're attempting to have the monitor serve dual purposes (sometimes as a television connected to your entertainment system, sometimes a computer monitor), you have a lot of reading to do, because one thing few people like about Windows 7 is it's aggressive interpretation of when a monitor goes "off" (including when you switch from monitor to tv), but that would more annoy you by moving your windows around, so that's probably not your problem (yet).. ;-)  (Although there's some degree of chance the monitor/tv defaults to TV as its input, triggering part of your problem)

• Edited by johnqflorida Friday, December 23, 2011 6:19 PM clarified
    Friday, December 23, 2011 5:42 PM

All replies

• Odds are your monitor and TV are fine, have you checked them by plugging the cable from your working monitor into them yet?

Also something to check ATI Catalyst Control Center has a setup for dual monitors if you don't have it enabled it may not be sending a signal.

Are you using an HDMI cable with any of these connections? If so odds are the video card considers that one to be the main monitor unless you change the configuration within the ATI catalyst control center.

Another possibility is the the monitors that went black... were they set to use the proper connector? each of mine can use one of 4 different connections and only one of them will auto configure itself to an active connection.

just a few things you can look into hope it helps cause I run dual monitors constantly with no issues under Win 7 using an ATI card

Please remember to flag a post that helps you as "answer" so that it may help others with same problems. | My Technet Wiki Article

Microsoft Certified Professional, Windows 7 Configuration, Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Configuration

Friday, December 23, 2011 1:51 AM
  • A few suggestions:

• Ensure you have the newest video card driver (you probably do since you recently installed, but make sure anyway)
    • Install/download the drivers for the monitors too (they probably have drivers as well, especially the 32")
    • Fiddle with each monitor's control buttons, at the very least as a way to prove they're not fried (I'm talking about the buttons where you can set brighness/contrast, and importantly, input sources too).  At the lowest level, if the  on-screen-display from the menu buttons shows information, you know your monitors aren't dead. 
    • On the second level regarding the monitor control buttons, one of the controls or one of the buttons picks the input source.  Test each input source carefully, so see if for some reason, the auto-detecting isn't working as expected.  Plug something else from another computer or possibly a cable box into them, just to confirm they still work. 
    • If you're counting on auto-detect, maybe try restarting too.  And of course, also go through the process of elimination, including using only one monitor at a time first  (start with the non-TV one).
    • Right click your computer's desktop, and pick "screen resolution", and experiment with the settings you see there.  In particular, pay attention to which monitor is set to your "main display".  I'd suggest the non-TV as the default. 
    • As suggested by DirtyOldBeggar, possibly install the whole suite of ATI Catalyst software, if you haven't already.
    • You didn't mention the other cable involved or the resolution settings you're choosing.  Include those in your next post?   And also the model numbers of each monitor and of the ATI card too.  (It may not hurt to visit ATI's support forums too.  There may be good ideas there too).
    • And finally, if you're attempting to have the monitor serve dual purposes (sometimes as a television connected to your entertainment system, sometimes a computer monitor), you have a lot of reading to do, because one thing few people like about Windows 7 is it's aggressive interpretation of when a monitor goes "off" (including when you switch from monitor to tv), but that would more annoy you by moving your windows around, so that's probably not your problem (yet).. ;-)  (Although there's some degree of chance the monitor/tv defaults to TV as its input, triggering part of your problem)

• Edited by johnqflorida Friday, December 23, 2011 6:19 PM clarified
    Friday, December 23, 2011 5:42 PM