Blue screen problem with Windows 7 on three PCs RRS feed

• Question

• I have three PCs with Windows 7 Home Premium installed (genuine software) Recently they are all suffering from the Blue screen shutdown during normal use
    Problem signature:
     Problem Event Name:	BlueScreen
     OS Version:	6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
     Locale ID:	2057

Additional information about the problem:
     BCCode:	100000b8
     BCP1:	863ADA70
     BCP2:	8DD05800
     BCP3:	8DC7DFD0
     BCP4:	00000000
     OS Version:	6_1_7600
     Service Pack:	0_0
     Product:	768_1
    The above error message appeared on the latest PC to suffer from the Blue screen shutdown. Can anyone help resolve/explain  this problem?
    Sunday, September 5, 2010 1:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Alan,

-      When did the issue first occur? Did it occur after installing some software or changing some hardware?

-      When does the issue occur? Does the issue occur when starting up Windows or using certain application?

Please understand that to solid troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump and analyze the related source code if needed. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

In the meantime, you can refer to the suggestions below to perform some troubleshooting to see if the culprit can be found.

You can perform Last Known Good Configuration if the issue first occurred recently.

Please unplug all unnecessary devices and then perform the steps below:

1. Click Start, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right click on your sound card and then click "Properties.

4. In the dropdown menu of Device Usage, please choose "Do not use this device (disable)" and click OK.

5. Please use the same method to disable other dubious hardware such as: internal modem, network card and CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

Also, you can analyze the small memory dump files yourself. For more information about how to do this, please refer to this knowledge base (KB) article: How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging.

Regards,

Linda

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, September 13, 2010 2:49 AM
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 6:57 AM

All replies

•  Hi,

Can you zip up the files in C:\Windows\Minidump and post them to
    skydrive for further analysis,

Without more information, I would guess that you need to start by
    updating drivers for your system and ensuring that all of the latest
    updates have been applied.

See,

# as an HRESULT: Severity: SUCCESS (0), Facility: 0x1000, Code 0xb8
    # for hex 0xb8 / decimal 184 :
      ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC                                     bugcodes.h
    # A wait operation, attach process, or yield was attempted
    # from a DPC routine.

-- Mike Burr
    Sunday, September 5, 2010 2:26 PM
  • Hi Alan,

-      When did the issue first occur? Did it occur after installing some software or changing some hardware?

-      When does the issue occur? Does the issue occur when starting up Windows or using certain application?

Please understand that to solid troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump and analyze the related source code if needed. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

In the meantime, you can refer to the suggestions below to perform some troubleshooting to see if the culprit can be found.

You can perform Last Known Good Configuration if the issue first occurred recently.

Please unplug all unnecessary devices and then perform the steps below:

1. Click Start, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right click on your sound card and then click "Properties.

4. In the dropdown menu of Device Usage, please choose "Do not use this device (disable)" and click OK.

5. Please use the same method to disable other dubious hardware such as: internal modem, network card and CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

Also, you can analyze the small memory dump files yourself. For more information about how to do this, please refer to this knowledge base (KB) article: How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging.

Regards,

Linda

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, September 13, 2010 2:49 AM
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 6:57 AM
  • Linda

Thanks for your suggestions regarding solving the problem that I am experiencing.

How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging .

This does not apply to Windows 7

Since I posted the article I am now getting the blue screen when I try to back up my files! The Blue screen appears randomly and apart from when I try backing up my files can occur at any time.

Saturday, September 18, 2010 3:27 PM
  • Linda

Thanks for your suggestions regarding solving the problem that I am experiencing.

How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging .

This does not apply to Windows 7

Since I posted the article I am now getting the blue screen when I try to back up my files! The Blue screen appears randomly and apart from when I try backing up my files can occur at any time.

You mean three of the comp has the same sympton as in blue screen? Other than the so call blue screen is there any error? I suggest you to run memtest or windows memory diagnostic. Alternatively look for clues and event under adminstrator tools>event viewer
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 4:54 PM
    Answerer