Planning To Install Exchange 2007 SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• HI

I am Planning to upgrade my exchange server 2007 sp2 to Exchange SP3 on the exesting servers(which are 2007 SP2 UR 5 on Windows 2008 SP1). we have mailbox server with cluster and two server ( 2007 SP2 UR 5 on Windows 2008 SP1HUB/CAS) both installed on same. We have coexistance of Exchange server 2010 SP2. Please advice how to go with it.

• Edited by RSMR Monday, April 29, 2013 7:23 PM
    Monday, April 29, 2013 9:05 AM

Answers

• Hi,

• You don't need to prepare the Schema/AD before you install SP3. Since you have Exchange 2010 SP2 in the ORG, it already is at the latest level
    • Its highly recommended to upgrade servers with the same Roles at the "same" time. Not doing that can cause problems.
    • You need to upgrade the OS first before you patch Exchange.

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by RSMR Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:45 AM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Don't understand how you can have SCR with one Mailbox Server...
    Anyway....Exchange 2007 should be upgraded in the following order:

1. CAS
    2. HUB
    3. Mailbox

So in your case, upgrade your two CAS/HUB Servers first before you upgrade your Mailbox Server.

Release Notes for Exchange Server 2007 SP3
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607233(v=exchg.80).aspx

Martina Miskovic

Monday, April 29, 2013 6:12 PM
  • Hi,

• You don't need to prepare the Schema/AD before you install SP3. Since you have Exchange 2010 SP2 in the ORG, it already is at the latest level
    • Its highly recommended to upgrade servers with the same Roles at the "same" time. Not doing that can cause problems.
    • You need to upgrade the OS first before you patch Exchange.

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by RSMR Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:45 AM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:44 AM
  • Jut to make sure what i am doing right, can i update all the roles(CAS/UM/HUB) as all this 3 roles are on the same server at the same time or update role by role in the oder CAS, UM and HUB.

Yes, you can.

Martina Miskovic

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:00 AM
  • If some thing go an d SP3 fails what will be the backup plan we need to recover the server by building the new one or just uninstall the SP3 is enough. Please advice me on backup out plan..
    Wednesday, May 1, 2013 8:53 AM
  • I Have SCCM clinet installed and SCOm client has been installed on all the exchnage servers. Do i need to stop the service or what i need to do. Please let me know. Is this casue any problem. I seen in a technet one user is not able to do SP3 update as the systemcenter service was not starting.

With out updating the OS from windows 2008 sp1 to SP2, On 2008 sp1 can upgrade the Exchange 2007 sp2 to SP3 UR 8

Please advice.

• Edited by RSMR Thursday, May 2, 2013 12:45 PM
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 12:32 PM
  • If some thing go and SP3 fails what will be the backup plan we need to recover the server by building the new one or just uninstall the SP3 is enough. Please advice me on backup out plan..

You cannot uninstall SP3 so that is not an option.

What kind of domain controllers and mail server to you have: I mean what OS do they run? W2K3, W2K8?

If so, you could perform a full server backup of a domain controller and the Exchange server just before the operation, that would be a good start.

I would review the /m:RecoverServer options to recover a server.

http://www.msexchange.org/articles-tutorials/exchange-server-2007/high-availability-recovery/Recovering-Exchange-2007-Server-RecoverServer-switch.html

If I understood correctly, you have two "front-end" CAS. Install SP3 on one of the two, see what happens. Any error messages? Do the Test-* commands still function on the upgraded to SP3 server? Test-ServiceHealth? Test-SystemHealth (essentially cmd line version of ExBPA), etc..

I don't know how you have load-balancing set up but you could shut down the other HT/CAS and see if mail flow continues and user access is ensured.. If so, you can upgrade the other server.

Please look over your Event Viewer logs, run ExBPA and the Test-* cmdlets so you can be sure your mail server is functioning fine right now.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 10:24 PM
  • Hi Rsmr,
    Maybe you can use Exchange Best Practice Analyzer of Toolbox to detect the Exchange,then open the MSExchange Management of the Applications and Services logs of the Event Viewer and see the details of errors.

Moreover,you should upgrade the clustered servers at the "same" time to avoid some problems.

Hope it is helpful.
    Thanks,
    Amy

Friday, May 3, 2013 9:46 AM
  • Hi All

Please adivice the below....

WE have a forest In that two Child domains are there. We have both Windows 2008 R2 and windows 2003SP2 Domain controllers.

example Forest name is A.com

1 Child B.A.com - In this we have Mailbox server (in cluster ) CAS/UM/HUB on  NLB(normal windows NLB) all are in Windows 2008 SP1 and Exchnage 2007 Sp2 UR5  and i want all this servers to update to exchange SP3 UR 8

2nd child C.A.com - In this we have CAS/HUB in NLB  Exchange 2010 SP2 n windows 2008 R2 no mailbox server

This two enviroments are in coexistance as migration has been stopped due to some reason.

Now i want to upgrade the Servers in B.A.com exchange server(Mailbox And CAS/UM/HUB) from 2007 sp2 UR5 to 2007 SP3 UR8.

Please advice if i need to extended schema, AD and Domains need to done seperately or in the GUI mode it will automatically do all this or it is not required as schema is extended to Exchnage 2001 SP2 level.

Please even I have installed FEP 2010 on exchange servers. While upgrading to sp3 just stopping antivirus is enough or need to do any other too.

• Edited by RSMR Friday, May 3, 2013 3:43 PM
    Friday, May 3, 2013 9:49 AM
  • WE have a forest In that two Child domains are there. We have both Windows 2008 R2 and windows 2003SP2 Domain controllers.

example Forest name is A.com

1 Child B.A.com - In this we have Mailbox server (in cluster ) CAS/UM/HUB on  NLB(normal windows NLB) all are in Windows 2008 SP1 and Exchnage 2007 Sp2 UR5  and i want all this servers to update to exchange SP3 UR 8

2nd child C.A.com - In this we have CAS/HUB in NLB  Exchange 2010 SP2 n windows 2008 R2 no mailbox server

[...]

Please advice if i need to extended schema, AD and Domains need to done seperately or in the GUI mode it will automatically do all this or it is not required as schema is extended to Exchnage 2001 SP2 level.

Please even I have installed FEP 2010 on exchange servers. While upgrading to sp3 just stopping antivirus is enough or need to do any other too.

1. It is often recommended to disable the antivirus while installing upgrades like this, so yes, go ahead and disable it and make sure to enable it after. If the AV flags a necessary update file as a virus and quarantines it or deletes it, depending on your settings, that could make the upgrade fail.

2. If you already have Exchange 2010 SP2 installed, and if that installation was successful (right?) then the schema and Active Directory should be up to date, beyond E2K7 SP3. Since you have two domains, were both domains prepared?

3. In case everything goes wrong, I think it's a good idea to have a full backup of the Exchange server on which you are installing the SP. Since it looks like the schema and AD will have already been updated by E2K10 SP2, you probably do not have to worry about backing up your domain controllers beyond what you normally do.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Saturday, May 4, 2013 2:09 PM
  • Yes your answers are very useful but i have read couple of articles and some one says you need to prepare schema/Ad/domian still if u have exchnage 2010, YEs exchange 2010 was sucessfull and even i have checked schema version it is 14732. Is there any way i check the details for the AD prepared deatils.  I can see the OU Microsoft Exchange System Objects  in our AD

even to be safer side If i run the below command with sp3 setup. Any problem will occur. Please let me know.

setup.com /ps
    setup.com /preparead
    setup.com /preparedomain
    setup.com /preparealldomains

• Edited by RSMR Saturday, May 4, 2013 2:20 PM
    Saturday, May 4, 2013 2:15 PM