none
Project 2013 trying to use Export Wizard to export to the format 'Project Excel Template'. Getting error 'The filter "" cannot be found.' Can anyone explain this error and/or how to use the Export Wizard with the format of Project Excel Template? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create a custom project excel template within the Export Wizard and get an error after selecting the radio button 'Project Excel Template' and only have the 'Finish' button available. Hit the 'Finish' button and get error:

The filter "" cannot be found.

You tried to display a view or use an import/export map that references a filter that is not available.

- If you are trying to use a view, specify a different filter for the view.

- If you are exporting with a map, the export will continue without the application of a filter.

Has anyone seen this error or can explain the setup of the Project Excel Template?  Since the export to an excel workbook only transfers the data as text; can the Excel Template be setup to accept the text data so that extra columns setup can convert the text to an appropriate format?

Using Project 2013 (15.0.4420.1017) 32-bit and Excel 2007 (12.0.6683.5002) SP3 MSO(12.0.6683.5000) part of MS Office Enterprise 2007.
    • Edited by BrianM2013 Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:28 PM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:19 PM

All replies

• BrianM2013 --

The dialog you are seeing is a known bug in the software that I reported while writing the What's New Microsoft Project 2013 book at msProjectExperts.  To the best of my knowledge, this bug has not been fixed in any of the Cumulative Updates released so far.  Even though you see the dialog, if you click through the dialog, the Export Wizard does successfully export the data to the Excel Workbook using the Project Excel Template.  It is not possible to modify the Project Excel template, so if you want a different set of columns, you will need to create your own map.  An easy way to create a map similar to the Project Excel template would be to import an Excel workbook created using the Project Excel Template, map Project fields to each Excel field on all three worksheets, modify the list of fields as needed, and then save this as a new Map.  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 10:26 PM
  • Hello Dale --

I am confused on the instruction of the work around you suggested.  Can you elaborate on your statement: "An easy way to create a map similar to the Project Excel template would be to import an Excel workbook created using the Project Excel Template, map Project fields to each Excel field on all three worksheets, modify the list of fields as needed, and then save this as a new Map."

Cuurently I am unable to input(export) data to a predefined workbook.  All I can do using the 'Selected Data' option is to create a new workbook each time the export routine is run.  If there is reference material to study I would appreciate a link to view.

Thanks,

Thursday, December 19, 2013 2:23 PM
  • Projguy2013 --

When you encounter the error message about the filter in the Export Wizard, click the OK button and then the Export Wizard should create the Excel workbook.  I just created an Excel workbook using the Project Excel Template, got the error message, clicked the OK button, and then the system DID create the Excel workbook for me.  Are you saying that the Wizard fails and that you do not see the resulting Excel workbook?  That is a fact we need to establish before we can move on to the other issue.  Please let me know ASAP and I will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:06 PM
  • Dale --

I do get a workbook after hitting OK to error msg.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:13 PM
  • Projguy2013 --

OK, thanks for answering right away.  You cannot modify the columns in the Project Excel Template, but you can create your own custom Map based off the data in the Project Excel Template.  That way, you can export exactly the columns you want.  Here is how to do it:

1. Open a project.
    2. Export the project as an Excel workbook using the Project Excel Template.
    3. Close the project currently open.
    4. Click File > Open and then select the Excel workbook just creating using the Export Wizard.
    5. On the first page of the Import Wizard, click the Next button.
    6. On the Import Wizard - Map page, select the New Map option and then click the Next button.
    7. On the Import Wizard - Import Mode page, select the As A New Project option and click the Next button.
    8. On the Import Wizard - Map Options page, select all three checkboxes at the top (Tasks, Resources, and Assignments) and then click the Next button.
    9. On the Import Wizard - Task Mapping page, you will see all of the Task fields exported to Excel from the Project Excel Template, mapped to their corresponding fields in Microsoft Project 2013.
    10. Click the Next button.
    11. On the Import Wizard - Resource Mapping page, you will see all of the Resource fields exported to Excel from the Project Excel Template, mapped to their corresponding fields in Microsoft Project 2013.
    12. Click the Next button.
    13. On the Import Wizard - Assignment Mapping page, you will see all of the Assignment fields exported to Excel from the Project Excel Template, mapped to their corresponding fields in Microsoft Project 2013.
    14. Click the Next button.
    15. On the Import Wizard - End of Map Definition page, click the Save Map button.
    16. Give the new custom map an original name and then click the Save button.
    17. Click the Cancel button.

At this point, you have just created a new import/export Map that is an exact duplicate of the Project Excel Template.  To modify this custom map, you can do the following:

1. Open a project.
    2. Begin the process of saving the project as an Excel workbook.
    3. On the Export Wizard - Data page, choose the Selected Data option and then click the Next button.
    4. On the Export Wizard - Map page, select the Use Existing Map option and then click the Next button.
    5. On the Export Wizard - Map Selection page, select the map you created in the previous set of steps, and then click the Next button.
    6. On the Export Wizard - Map Options page, leave all of the default options selected, and then click the Next button.
    7. On the Export Wizard - Task Mapping page, delete any task fields you do not want to use and add additional fields that you want to include in the map. For example, you might want the Successors column, in additional to the Predecessors column that is already included in the map.
    8. Click the Next button.
    9. On the Export Wizard - Resource Mapping page, delete any resource fields you do not want to use and add additional fields that you want to include in the map. For example, you might want the Overtime Rate column.
    10. Click the Next button.
    11. On the Export Wizard - Assignment Mapping page, delete any assignment fields you do not want to use and add additional fields that you want to include in the map. For example, you might want the Peak column after the Units column.
    12. Click the Next button.
    13. On the Export Wizard - End of Map Definition page, click the Save Map button.
    14. Click the Save button to save the original map with the revisions you have made to it.
    15. Click the Finish button.

That is how to create a customized version of the Project Excel Template.  Keep in mind, however, that when Microsoft Project 2013 exports data to an Excel workbook, the data exported is text data.  This means you may need to format the data in Excel so that it is displayed according to your criteria.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:44 PM
  • Dale --

Your response and instruction is greatly appreciated.  I do want to confirm an overall question that will answer the gap I am trying to fill.  If I create a 'new' Project Excel Template, then when I run the export option and select the format to use 'Project Excel Template', will the utility:

1. only exports into a new woorkbook that will overwrite a previously created version; or,

2. can I modify the columns in the new template the above method creates whereby I add the duplicate columns that have the correct formatting and formula that converts the text data to the appropriate associated formatted columns?

In effect #2 uses the template as a finished report and all that is needed is to hide the text data columns.  Currently, I am creating a selected map workbook then copying the text data and pasting into a excel template that has columns for the text data and duplicate columns that is correctly formated and formula to convert to the appropriate format.  If the excel template workbook cannot be modified with new formated columns and exports to a new excel workbook, then my only work around is to create an excel macro to copy from one excel workbook to the template workbook with all steps to create a finished excel sheet.

I was hoping Project 2013 would be able to export to a modified template to effeicently produce a finished report with very few steps involved. I believe the macros created in project are bound within project and cannot extend into excel? 

Thursday, December 19, 2013 4:35 PM
  • Projguy2013 --

You are not creating a new Project Excel Template; you are merely creating a copy of the template as a new Map.  The purpose of doing this is so that modify the Map to include exactly the columns you want to export or import.  So, from this point forward, you would not need to use the Project Excel Template.  By the way, if you make a copy of the Project Excel Template the way I instructed you, and you export a project to an Excel workbook using it, you will still see the same error message as with the Project Excel Template.  I believe the error is caused by the fact that there is no Filter applied on the Export Wizard - Assignment Mapping page, nor is it possible to apply a Filter anyway.  So, this remains as an unfixed bug in Project 2013.

To emphasize what I said in my last post, when you export data from Microsoft Project 2013 to an Excel workbook, you cannot control the formatting of the data when it is sent to Excel.  The system simply sends regular text data, which means you will need to manually format the data when you get it into Excel.

Does that answer your questions.  Please let me know and I will try to help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, December 19, 2013 7:16 PM
  • So I have my MS Project file, went through the wizard to create a map to create my Excel file.  I see that I can't change any of the data types.  They are stuck at Text.

But then when I go to my Excel file and try to change the format of certain fields, I can't change them. For example, %.  In the display in the MPP wizard, it shows that it would come over as a percent, 31%, but in Excel, it shows the decimal, like .31.  If I try to change the format to display as 31%, it just does nothing.

Also the date which was like Mon 8/31 comes across as Monday, August 31, 2018 08:10 AM.  If I try to change it to a short date, it does nothing.

Is there a way to get the Excel fields to change?

Thanks, V~~

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 8:50 PM
  • V double tilde or V approximately approximately,

Yeah, that is a consternation for many users who use the export map. There are a couple of approaches that can be used.

First, select the first entry row data, (say the value you want to show at %), note the value, and then manually enter that value in the formula bar. For example, let's say the percent complete for the first task shows as 0.1. Select that cell and type 10% in the formula bar. Once that value is set, do a fill down for all other values in the column. The same can be done for any other field. For example, a date that shows as 12/17/18 8:00AM, select the first value and type 12/17/18 in the formula bar.

By using the above process you are effectively able to "re-set" the ability to control the formatting in Excel.

So what's another approach? Use VBA to export data from Project to Excel. It gives you a lot more flexibility.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 11:08 PM