When I Open IE 11 My Processor Goes to 90-100% and Stays There RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7.  Internet Explorer 11.

I have run security scans during and after this problem occurs with both Malwarebytes and Symantec.  Neither finds anything (except one cookie).  Can anyone help me determine what is happening and how to prevent it?

I noticed that when I open an IE11 session and browse to a page that has embeddded video, the video turns green and IE freezes.  Then my processor approaches 100% and stays there.  There is nothing else in the foreground running but IE11.  I check the processes and have over 60 running in the background, whereas before I open IE 11, my processor stays under 10% with 42 processes running in background.  There are multiple dllhost.exe and dllhost.exe *32, iexploere.exe and iexplorer *32, also included are below (which are taking up the majority of the cpu:

upnpcont.exe

wextract.exe

dllhst3g.exe

napstat.exe

msfeedsync.exe

shrpub.exe

rundll32.exe (multiples)

dpnsvr.exe

smcgui.exe

logagent.exe

ctfmon.exe

Doug Pruiett Good News Jail & Prison Ministry Richmond, Virginia www.goodnewsjail.org

Sunday, November 23, 2014 9:52 PM

Answers

• THE SOLUTION.

I was chasing rabbits.  The problem was caused by the "powelik" virus, that among other things kicks off multiple dllhost.exe processes and generally hoses your system.  I found a removal procedure and tool (do a search on Google) and now am back in the saddle.  Thank you all for the responses.

Doug Pruiett Good News Jail & Prison Ministry Richmond, Virginia www.goodnewsjail.org

• Marked as answer by Roger Lu Sunday, November 30, 2014 3:29 PM
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 5:16 PM

All replies

• Assuming Win7 64-bit with Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) installed...

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferably without quoting my post:

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Did Win7 64-bit come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it, did you do a clean install of Win7, or did you upgrade the computer to Win7?

2. What is the full name of your installed anti-virus application or security suite and when (approx. date) does your current subscription expire? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) are installed? What third-party firewall (if any)?

3. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

4. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [PICK ONE] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

5. Is KB3003057, KB3006226, KB3010788, KB2992611, KB2993958, KB3005607, KB2978120, KB3003743 and/or KB3002885 listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)? [1]

6. Assuming Java is installed => Is Java Version 8 Update 25 (or higher) or Java Version 7 Update 71 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://java.com/en/download/uninstallapplet.jsp [2]

7. Is Adobe Flash Player v15.0.0.223 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

8a. When (exact date) was Internet Explorer 11 installed according to Installed Updates?

8b. What Update Version & KB number are displayed in the second line of text in IE11's Help | About [Alt+H+A] tab; e.g., Update Version: XX.0.54 (KB1231231) ?

8c. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?

9. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; Glary Utilities; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner's Registry Cleaner component)?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You will find Consumer-specific support for Internet Explorer in these forums: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie

==============================================
    [1] Start | Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)
    [2] No need to install Java if it's not already installed!

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Monday, November 24, 2014 6:25 PM
  • Hi,

For the green video in IE 11 issue, please disable hardware acceleration as detailed instruction in the link below, you may need to restart the PC.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jasone/archive/2012/08/17/problem-on-my-machine-the-green-screen-flash-video-playback-issue.aspx

I'm not sure whether the high CPU is related with this issue, but please test this setting, if issue persists, please post back.

Meanwhile, please keep latest Windows Update, especially for updates for IE 11 and driver for graphic card.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 7:24 AM
  • THE SOLUTION.

I was chasing rabbits.  The problem was caused by the "powelik" virus, that among other things kicks off multiple dllhost.exe processes and generally hoses your system.  I found a removal procedure and tool (do a search on Google) and now am back in the saddle.  Thank you all for the responses.

• Marked as answer by Roger Lu Sunday, November 30, 2014 3:29 PM
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 5:16 PM
  • How have you determined that the computer is no longer infected?

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 7:09 PM