none
Project file openeing issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a global planning system set up using remote apps server (Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard OS) with project 2010 standard licence installed.

When a user opens a master project and its subsequent sub projects the files are locked out as read only, so far so good! The issue is that we are not geting a user name appear on screen (we just see, locked for editing by ") when another user tries to access a sub project file. We do see a name against the master project if we try to open that & a sub project if someone has opened it directly & not through the master plan.

Is this normal or do we have some type of problem?

To put a spin on things if user 1 opens a sub project directly then closes it, followed by user 2 opening that same subproject through a master file that sub project is locked to read only stating that user 1 has it open when in fact user 2 has it open through the master project.

Any ideas?

Regards Steve 

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 10:29 AM

Answers

All replies

• Firstly if anyone has ever renamed, moved or over-written any of the project files then you probably have a file corruption. Unattach all files from the master, delete the master, save all projects to xml then import back to a new .mpp file. Recreate the Master.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 8:34 PM
  • Hi Steve

To put a spin on things if user 1 opens a sub project directly then closes it, followed by user 2 opening that same subproject through a master file that sub project is locked to read only stating that user 1 has it open when in fact user 2 has it open through the master project.

This last bit resonates with a couple of issues had earlier this year with Project 2010 standard. We had two users report that they couldn't get edit their files as they were locked for editing, but the warning stated that it wsa locked by the actual user who was attempting to open it. In both cases, the file was locked, but by another user, so it was just the identity of the user with the lock which was wrong, as per your description

We closed the issue as cosmetic only, but I'd be interested to hear if you find out any more.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:29 AM
  • Andrew,

Our IT dept made some changes from the advise on the following link which seems to have worked so far. I would try to explain but to tbh i dont really understand the technical jargon!!! Hope this helps.

http://kb.globalscape.com/KnowledgebaseArticle10862.aspx

Regards

Steve

• Edited by Steve.D.H Friday, May 18, 2012 11:01 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Andrew Simpson Friday, May 18, 2012 11:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steve.D.H Monday, May 21, 2012 1:26 PM
    Friday, May 18, 2012 11:00 AM
  • Brilliant - thanks Steve. Noted this against the log for my previous defect in case it recurs.

Cheers,

Andrew

Friday, May 18, 2012 11:27 AM
  • Hi Rod,

I imagine file corruption is not the issue here as we are seeing this happen on all files which, i would assume cause more than just this problem if every file was in fact corrupt.

I have created many new files and rebuilt our master plans as a mater of course for good house keeping but the problem is still with us.

Regards

Steve

Monday, August 6, 2012 10:43 AM