Windows 10 apps don't print in color to a color printer by default RRS feed

• Question

• How do I change Windows 10 apps like Edge and Photos, so that the default "Color mode" is "Color" instead of "Monochrome"?

• Edited by JS2010 Thursday, June 7, 2018 7:34 PM
    Thursday, June 7, 2018 7:31 PM

All replies

• Hi!

Have you tried to set to Color on the printer device itself?

Go to Start -> Settings -> Devices -> Printers & scanners on the left. Then click your printer and click Manage. Lastly click Printer properties, on the Advanced tab Printer Defaults...

See if it helps.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com  LinkedIn:   

Thursday, June 7, 2018 9:53 PM
  • Hi,

There is a similar issue with you,please note what KELLY HOWARD said.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/forum/edge_other-edge_win10/how-to-change-default-print-settings-in-edge/90c1bddb-5e9e-48c8-92b1-03e64a1a8d98?page=3

Uncheck"Let windows manage my default printer"

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, June 8, 2018 3:28 AM
  • This is a windows shared printer and for some reason the Advanced tab buttons are greyed out.  But color printing works fine in applications like Internet Explorer.  It's only what used to be called "metro apps" that are set to monochrome color mode by default, Edge, Photos, Paint 3D, etc.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but everyone has this same problem in Windows 10.

The windows managing the default printer is a different issue, and I've already turned that off.

• Edited by JS2010 Monday, June 11, 2018 10:31 PM
    Monday, June 11, 2018 10:23 PM
  • I've found the solution to the black and white printing from Photo in Win 10.. First, go to settings-printers & devices. Find your printer and select printer preferences. I have an epson XP800 and I simply set the paper size, type and quality. For example, paper size 4x6, paper- Professional gloss, print quality-best photo. your settings are probably different. Open the Photo App,and the photo you want to print. Or, double click the photo you want to print.  In the printer dialog box UNCHECK LET THE APP CHANGE MY PRINTING PREFERENCES.  That's it!

• Proposed as answer by Les Paris Friday, October 19, 2018 10:31 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Les Paris Friday, October 19, 2018 10:31 PM
    Friday, October 19, 2018 10:30 PM
  • That hasnt made any difference at all - still prints in Black and white.

Why is this still an issue in March 2019!!!!!!  Come on Microsoft you make enough money to employ someone who can come up with a fix!!

• Edited by Lee Dovey Sunday, March 10, 2019 1:10 PM
    Sunday, March 10, 2019 12:51 PM
  • With a shared printer, it works in colour if you right click on the photo in File Explorer and choose Print that way instead of opening it first.
    Thursday, May 9, 2019 11:07 PM
  • I tried this approach and it gives the exact same results as if I open the image in Photo Viewer: a color-capable-and-enabled physical printer only gives b/w, whereas the XPS and PDF "printers" allow color.

I guess it's a good thing I'm allowed to have a win7 box next to my standard-issue win10 workstation for just such emergencies...

Friday, August 9, 2019 2:35 PM
  •     This is the first HP printer i have bought, and it will surely be the last one. This has been an issue for me with my 3833 printer many times now. Its a pain to get hp to help, they want to charge you cause your warranty period is over. Im so totally unsatisfied. Ive never had any issues of any sorts with Epson printers....

Monday, October 28, 2019 3:15 AM
  • I don't think it's your printer. The September updates RUINED my laptop and today despite the fact I refused any more updates from the shoddy crowd that call themselves Windows my laptop did the updates ANYWAY and now my printer is defaulting to black and white and none of the previous replies fix it, because A) Microsoft manage device IS UNchecked and B) that printer app page where you can choose your colour setting resets itself EVERY time you save it! I've just lost HALF a pack of quality paper tonight and I'm FUMING! I didn't want to go back to Linux/Ubuntu but I'm soo past Windows screwing up a decent laptop! I finally started getting some work and now I can't do it because of THEIR 'IMPROVEMENTS'. Clearly they've never heard the saying IT it ain't broke....WELL IT IS NOW! Thanks for nothing Microsoft!
    Friday, November 1, 2019 9:55 PM
  • I have been trying to figure out my issue for the past 3 days when my printer suddenly after changing it once to print in monochrome won't allow me to change it back to print in color either.  I had done a restart and I believe updates were also done from Windows.  I have tried everything from HP and none of my fixes from HP worked making me search deeper to what the issue is. 

I also believe the issue is now a Windows 10 update issue.  Other than uninstalling the last update from Windows 10, is there any other fixes???

Well Nix that idea!  I tried to uninstall the latest update that I thought caused the problem and needless to say.....it didn't work even after I restarted my computer.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling my printer/ drivers and updates. 

I am at a total lost as it was literally working a week ago!?

• Edited by ellecee.yyc Monday, November 18, 2019 1:06 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Silver 07 Monday, December 16, 2019 6:52 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Silver 07 Monday, December 16, 2019 6:52 AM
    Monday, November 18, 2019 12:34 AM
  • I finally found a solution! I have an HP Deskjet 4729, and out of the blue it suddenly stopped printing in colour. Its very easy to fix. Go to Control Panel>Devices and Printers>Right Click on your printer>Go to Printer Properties>Advanced Tab>Change the driver to any one>Click on OK

Now try to print out a picture. It won't work.

Follow the steps above and change the driver back to the original

Now try to print. It will be in colour!

Monday, December 16, 2019 6:57 AM
  • You. sir or madam, are a Bladdy genius!!!

Solved this problem in 30 seconds!!

Thank you!
    Saturday, December 21, 2019 6:50 PM
  • I have read every tip and forum for the past five hours in order to print out photos in colour to no avail, and you have solved this for me instantly.

Congratulations, you are indeed  the aforementioned genius

Thursday, January 2, 2020 11:01 PM
  • OMG THANK YOU SOOO MUCH! you deserve a MEDAL! Yet again ran into same issues and stumbled across this old post that I commented on back in November. So far tonight I've unistalled and reinstalled drivers and software (TWICE) to no avail. Second time was cos of a protection fault so couldn't get the properties anyway. So finding your solution earlier this evening would have been exceptional. However better late than never and a much quicker result than any 'Official Support'! Thank you again! You are indeed a bladdy genius! I guess it's the software equivalent of turn it off and on again (which I wrongly assumed only worked with the laptop itself lol).
    Tuesday, January 7, 2020 7:04 PM
  • This has nothing to do with hp. I have 2 different kinds of printers and I have taken my devices to other peoples houses with a different brand and it's the same issue. It's the app or program that you are printing from that is the problem. I can print from k12 or from any website directly and it will print in colour, but if i have to download or open a PDF in chrome or explorer. It will only print in black and white. 

*note i also have the hp 3833 as my main printer*

Thursday, January 9, 2020 4:40 AM
  • now what to do when my advanced tab is GREYED OUT!?

update. i hit change properties with the little coloured shield and it worked!

• Edited by celtic333 Thursday, January 9, 2020 4:54 AM
    Thursday, January 9, 2020 4:43 AM
  • Try this! if your advanced settings are greyed out like mine where, one of the tabs has button with a blue and yellow shield that says change properties. that opened up the same tab i was just on but nothing was greyed out anymore....the following solution posted by a different user worked!

I finally found a solution! I have an HP Deskjet 4729, and out of the blue it suddenly stopped printing in colour. Its very easy to fix. Go to Control Panel>Devices and Printers>Right Click on your printer>Go to Printer Properties>Advanced Tab>Change the driver to any one>Click on OK

• Proposed as answer by lawrence williams Saturday, December 21, 2019 6:50 PM
    Monday, December 16, 2019 6:57 AM

Thursday, January 9, 2020 5:00 AM
  • I think you saved my sanity, my life...or at least my printer and window since I was sooooo close to throwing the thing out the window!!
    Sunday, January 12, 2020 10:00 PM
  • THANK YOU!  Nothing  else I tried worked, and this was so simple and quick.  
    Friday, January 17, 2020 4:22 PM
  • Genius!  
    Saturday, February 1, 2020 4:50 PM
  • OMG I have been working on this printer for 3 days installing and uninstalling.  unplugging modems and all equipment.  I should have read this first.  You are amazing!!!!

• Edited by trishwash55 Tuesday, February 11, 2020 5:51 PM
    Tuesday, February 11, 2020 5:49 PM
  • I finally found a solution! I have an HP Deskjet 4729, and out of the blue it suddenly stopped printing in colour. Its very easy to fix. Go to Control Panel>Devices and Printers>Right Click on your printer>Go to Printer Properties>Advanced Tab>Change the driver to any one>Click on OK

Freaking BRILLIANT!!! Thank you! <3
    Tuesday, February 11, 2020 7:30 PM
  • Thanks a LOT! This had been plaguing me for months!!!
    Everything else proposed on the Internet had failed. 
    Also it was becoming increasingly evident that the problem was global, not related to one particular printer driver: Every printer was printing in B&W, not just the default printer.

Your fix can be simplified a little by doing it this way:

Go to Control Panel>Devices and Printers>Right Click on your printer>Go to Printer Properties>Advanced Tab

Change the driver to any other one>Click on Apply

Immediately change the driver back to the original one>Click on Apply

Wednesday, February 19, 2020 4:36 PM
  • tried everything i could think of and went through every setting change possible and this is revolutionary. absolute legend!

Thursday, February 27, 2020 8:49 PM
  • thank you so much . its really works 
    Tuesday, May 12, 2020 2:18 PM
  • Absolutely awesome thanks. 

My head was about to explode with this.

I have found I need to do this everytime i print and want it in colour. I wander if there is a way around this.

Tuesday, June 9, 2020 10:01 PM
  • Thank you

Your trick helped me in 6/2020

Sunday, June 28, 2020 10:51 AM
  • I've just had to do this for a second (or maybe third) time. Took me a while to find your solution but I knew it was around somewhere
    Sunday, June 28, 2020 12:17 PM
  • THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS! I have been struggling with this stupid problem for over 3 years and resorting to going to an Office Depot to print color items even though I have an expensive HP printer/scanner at home! I wasn't able to print in color for 3 years and your suggestion fixed it. THANK YOU a million times over!!!! 
    Thursday, July 9, 2020 5:28 PM