Help search options: "Office online" versus "from this computer" RRS feed

• Question

• I wonder why Microsoft has chosen to prefer providing results only from "Office online" as the default when searching for help (in Office 2007), rather than results "from this computer". 

I can recognise the benefit in providing this as an option.  I don't even mind that it is set as the factory default.  I find it irritating, however, that the default cannot be changed by the user and "Office online" does not provide all of the help available "from this computer". 

Suggested improvement alternatives:

* mirror all the local help content online

* allow the user to set the default help resource [i.e. to be remembered even in new sessions, after rebooting, etc.]

* allow the user to select both "Content from Office online" and "Content from this computer" when seeking help. 

—DIV

• Changed type Max Meng Friday, August 26, 2011 2:35 PM
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:34 AM

Answers

• To have Word search the local help files by default, do the following: Open a Help window. On the status bar, click "Connected to Office Online," and then choose "Show content only from this computer."

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Friday, August 26, 2011 2:35 PM
    Friday, August 26, 2011 2:18 PM

All replies

• To have Word search the local help files by default, do the following: Open a Help window. On the status bar, click "Connected to Office Online," and then choose "Show content only from this computer."

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Friday, August 26, 2011 2:35 PM
    Friday, August 26, 2011 2:18 PM
  • Great.  This seems to be working.  I had been trying to select from the drop-down box under "Search", which did not persist to later sessions. 

—DIV

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 4:35 AM