Software Distribution - Group Management RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'm encountering an issue with the software distribution.
    I explain my case : I created 1 package and 3 device groups.
    So the tree looks like the following :

All Devices             --> Not approved  
        Unassigned Devices  --> Not approved (inherited)  
        VIP                 --> Not approved (inherited)  
        IT                  --> Approved  
        TEST                --> Approved 

As you can see, I choosed to approve the package for only 2 groups.

When I browse the VIP group and select my device I can see its membership : All Devices, VIP.

But I can also see these lines :

Packages applicable : 1  
    Packages installed : 1 

So the package I choosed to not install onto this specific group is still installed and I can see it on my device ...

Does anyone have an idea to solve my problem ?

Thanks.

Sebastien.
    Friday, October 10, 2008 9:02 AM

Answers

• The application I don't want on VIP's devices is : "SUDOKU"  .. it's only for test prupose :-)) .
    It's very strange that some applications are listed twice ???

What connection interval are you running here? And what is the interval for inventory collection? Unfortunately I am not able to find the link right here and now, but I seem to recall reading in the Technet Library that this behaviour may occur if the settings are too low. Basically that the device hasn't had time to report back that the application is installed, so WSUS will think it's not installed, and will send it out again. You get the idea :) (And since I can't find the link I can't verify this, but I believe the recommendation is not less than an hour.)

Edit: Some of the issues in Release Notes seem to cover these questions: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc161048.aspx
    Monday, October 13, 2008 10:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Sebastien, Does any newly enrolled devices placed in the VIP group also have the same problem?

|\\arco..

Saturday, October 11, 2008 7:47 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Sebastien, It is possible to deploy software to a device based on Group Policy. This software distribution method is called Client-side targeting. Have you enabled Client-side targeting ? Client side Targeting allows you to manage software distribution from AD, rather than having to allocate your device to a Software Distribution group.

Firstly, make sure that SCMDM deployed the software. Can you check "Managed Programs" on your device? You can find this under Start -> Settings System TAB -> “Managed Programs” on Professional devices. Is the software listed under Installation History ?

If you haven’t tried client-side targeting, Maybe this is a great opportunity to try it !

Wayne Phillips

Airloom

Monday, October 13, 2008 2:27 AM
  • Hello guys,

Marco >> no I'm only encountering this issue with my HTC TyTN II (Kaiser). I have a Treo 750 and a iPaq914 in the same group which didn't have this problem.

Wayne >> I will check for "client-side targeting" setting. When I go to "Managed Program", I get these information .... I guess I founded an other issue, please look at the picture ...

http://images.imagehotel.net/?nsscikax0x.jpg

The application I don't want on VIP's devices is : "SUDOKU"  .. it's only for test prupose :-)) .
    Monday, October 13, 2008 8:18 AM

• The application I don't want on VIP's devices is : "SUDOKU"  .. it's only for test prupose :-)) .

What connection interval are you running here? And what is the interval for inventory collection? Unfortunately I am not able to find the link right here and now, but I seem to recall reading in the Technet Library that this behaviour may occur if the settings are too low. Basically that the device hasn't had time to report back that the application is installed, so WSUS will think it's not installed, and will send it out again. You get the idea :) (And since I can't find the link I can't verify this, but I believe the recommendation is not less than an hour.)

Edit: Some of the issues in Release Notes seem to cover these questions: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc161048.aspx
    Monday, October 13, 2008 10:19 AM
  • I think my issue happened because the "connection interval" and "ReofferPeriodInDays" was to low.
    I will try to enroll again this device and check if I get the same behavior.

Thanks !
    Monday, October 13, 2008 12:06 PM
  • Some news ...

I enrolled again my Kaiser with these MDM settings :

- connection interval : 1 hour
    - ReofferPeriodInDays : 1 day
    - client side targeting : enabled ('VIP'), before enrolling a new device
    - package approval : no change

The resultas are :

- applications are installed only one time                                                             --> OK
    - device is assigned automatically to the VIP group in the Soft Dist console        --> OK
    - Kaiser's membership : All devices, Unassigned Devices                                     --> N-OK
    - All the packages are installed                                                                            --> N-OK

I will try again with an other device ...

My first error is now fixed and the client side targeting feature is pretty useful, thanks all for your help !

To be continued ....
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:24 PM
  • I'm glad the client side targeting helped... I was playing with the ReofferPeriodInDays setting recently. I tried to build a process to test a Software Install failure, then devise a recovery process. To simulate a failure, I deployed software that didn't have a matching Trusted Root Certificate on the device. The install failed, as expected. I set ReofferPeriodInDays=0 and then deployed the matching Trusted Root Certificate. On the next ConnectNow Sync, the application deployed successfully. But subsequently,  I’ve started seeing multiple software installs. So I think it’s related to setting the ReofferPeriod to low.

Airloom

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 4:46 AM
  • I guess it's related to the ReofferPeriod settings, too.
    I did additionnal tests and there was multiple install on all my devices.
    But the first time I set "ReofferPeriod" to "0", only the HTC Kaiser was impacted and the 2 other devices in the same group hadn't any problem : maybe the installation was faster on these devices which reported more quickly to MDM DM.

The client side targeting allows to put device automatically in a dedicated group but since I used the feature, none of my devices had a good membership : they all belong to "All Devices" and "Unassigned Devices" while they must belong to "All Devices" and "<group_specified_in_the_gpo>".

I will investigate deeper today.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 8:19 AM
  • Sebastien Gabriel said:
    But the first time I set "ReofferPeriod" to "0", only the HTC Kaiser was impacted and the 2 other devices in the same group hadn't any problem : maybe the installation was faster on these devices which reported more quickly to MDM DM.

This is interesting. Which models are these other devices? The Kaiser was one of the first devices with WM 6.1, and it is one of the earlier builds of WM 6.1.

It is known (from previous posts on this forum) that there are differences in the SCMDM client on newer builds of WM 6.1. As to what these differences are - whether it be features or bug foxes, I don't know. Most likely MS has a list detailing this, but it would probably not be made public :(
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 8:29 AM

• Andreas Helland said:

Most likely MS has a list detailing this, but it would probably not be made public :(

or maybe they don't have these pieces of information ...
    Depending to the manufacturers and the modifications made by the network operators there would be a lot of different releases ?

To answer you, I work with these devices :

- HTC TyTN II
    - PALM Treo 750
    - HP iPaq 914

I have Treo 750 since I particpate to the 1st SCMDM workshop so I guess it's the oldest release of WM 6.1

and I will try these devices one as soon as possible :

- Motorola Q9h
    - HTC Touch Dual
    - Palm Treo Pro
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 8:59 AM

Andreas Helland said:

Most likely MS has a list detailing this, but it would probably not be made public :(

Depending to the manufacturers and the modifications made by the network operators there would be a lot of different releases ?

The SCMDM client is not modified by the OEM, and is a Microsoft-supplied file. And I'm guessing that a certain build level of WM will contain a certain build level of the SCMDM bits. However it is up to the OEM which build of WM they are using, and would make other customizations as to the ROM image they are building for their device.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 9:11 AM

Andreas Helland said:

I'd be surprised if Microsoft had such a list, but if they did, I'm sure they would be pressing the hardware manufacturers very hard. I'm sure Microsoft would be monitoring forums like this one, for posts just like this one ! It would be a massive job to test all devices with all carriers. I have been finding mdm differences between hardware manufacturers, especially HTC devices.

I have devices in several different containers, which have different cabs assigned. Each device get exactly what it should. With only one exception, When the reofferperiod is set to 0, I get multiple installs. Apart from that, it works perfectly. I’m using a Palm Treo Pro at the moment.

Cheers Wayne

Airloom

Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:22 AM
  • Wayne Ph1ll1ps said:

Sebastien Gabriel said:

Andreas Helland said:

I'd be surprised if Microsoft had such a list, but if they did, I'm sure they would be pressing the hardware manufacturers very hard. I'm sure Microsoft would be monitoring forums like this one, for posts just like this one ! It would be a massive job to test all devices with all carriers. I have been finding mdm differences between hardware manufacturers, especially HTC devices.

I have devices in several different containers, which have different cabs assigned. Each device get exactly what it should. With only one exception, When the reofferperiod is set to 0, I get multiple installs. Apart from that, it works perfectly. I’m using a Palm Treo Pro at the moment.

Cheers Wayne

Airloom

The SCMDM bits on the device are machineenroller.exe and omadmclient.exe, and possibly some other files. MS would likely know what the difference is between version 1.01, 1.02, 1.1, etc. MS would also likely have a list detailing if WM 6.1 build 19200.1 contains SCMDM 1.02 or 1.1, and so forth.

The x-factor here are things like "is the HTC Touch Pro running WM 6.1 build 19202 or 19503" etc. If they have this info I don't know. (Maybe for licensing purposes.) But they would probably not have a complete file listing with version numbers of what HTC put into the specific ROM image for the Touch Pro.

What I also don't know (but surely would like to know) are all the registry keys involved in SCMDM. And which ones of these are defined by MS, and which ones OEMs can change.

There will always be differences between devices, and I have learned a long time ago that you should only trust devices to work if you have tested them yourself :)
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 7:05 AM
  • Hi Sebastien,

What build does the Kaiser have? MDM is supported on 19212 or later.

Thanks,
    George
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 6:02 PM
  •  
    Andreas Helland said:

... I have learned a long time ago that you should only trust devices to work if you have tested them yourself :)

I would have to, whole heatedly, agree with you...  I'm working with Microsoft to clear up an issue, which only happens with a specific device manufacturer and specific carriers.
    Friday, October 17, 2008 2:01 AM
  • george cai [MSFT] said:

Hi Sebastien,

What build does the Kaiser have? MDM is supported on 19212 or later.

Thanks,
    George

Hi George,

the version is 19212.1.0.3
    Friday, October 17, 2008 8:09 AM
  • Is the Kaiser managed by MDM successfully? For example, did you push policies other than Enable Client-Side targetting to the device? Is the Kaiser in the same OU as other devices that worked in Client-Side targetting?

Do you have MDM AdminTools installed? Please launch the MDM console | Device Management | All Managed Device and select the Kaiser. In the lower bottom pane, select Device History. Do you see ./Vendor/MSFT/Registry/HKLM/SOFTWARE/Policies/Microsoft/Windows/WindowsUpdate/TargetGroup? What's the value?

Thanks!
    Friday, October 17, 2008 7:30 PM