none
MDT2012- Golden Image captured but..... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello again gang.

Just did another round of updates to my MDT 2012 Image.

It sysprepped/captured fine, no errors.

So my first deployment never finishes...but let me explain.  Normally I see the WHITE "SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED " window , or once in a while the dreaded "YELLOW UHOH ERROR" window.... Today, I'm getting NEITHER.. it reboots after the image applies, and sits at a CTL ALT DEL screen....but I cannot log in with ANY Admin password I've put in.... (We had not joined the domain yet, either, which limits how many potential PW's it could be...)

1st- We found Local Group Policy running (we have none), disabled it, and updated the share fully (regenerated) due to error "administrator account is disabled"  (which isn't true).

2nd - So we have some utilities to reset the password, which we did as a test, once we got in I was expecting the image to finish...it didn't. Just sits.

3rd - During SYSPREP we make it ASK for the admin password rather than embed it.. so as of now, it's blank (and no, blank pw and/or name do not work either).

Any help offered would be appreciated..... Hopefully I gave 'you' enough info....

Thanks, Mark

• Edited by BWB Mark Friday, July 10, 2015 2:17 PM
    Friday, July 10, 2015 2:14 PM

Answers

• Oh god... could it be?? I'll begin bowing my head in shame..... (But know it SHOULD have informed me via our server warnings.... Live and learn... BOLDED BELOW

<![LOG[ZTI Heartbeat: command has been running for 40 minutes (process ID 1384)]LOG]!><time="17:21:03.000+000" date="07-17-2015" component="ZTIBackup" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIBackup">
    <![LOG[  Console > [  60% ] Capturing progress: 25:59 mins remaining ]LOG]!><time="17:21:59.000+000" date="07-17-2015" component="ZTIBackup" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIBackup">
    <![LOG[  Console > [ ERROR ] C:\Windows\System32\Recovery\Winre.wim (Error = 112)]LOG]!><time="17:22:44.000+000" date="07-17-2015" component="ZTIBackup" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIBackup">
    <![LOG[  Console > [ ERROR ] C:\Windows\System32\Recovery\Winre.wim (Error = 112)]LOG]!><time="17:22:44.000+000" date="07-17-2015" component="ZTIBackup" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIBackup">
    <![LOG[  Console > Error imaging drive [C:\]]LOG]!><time="17:22:44.000+000" date="07-17-2015" component="ZTIBackup" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIBackup">
    <![LOG[  Console > There is not enough space on the disk. ]LOG]!><time="17:22:44.000+000" date="07-17-2015" component="ZTIBackup" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIBackup">
    <![LOG[Return code from command = 2]LOG]!><time="17:22:44.000+000" date="07-17-2015" component="ZTIBackup" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIBackup">
    <![LOG[Error creating an image of drive C:, rc = 2]LOG]!><time="17:22:44.000+000" date="07-17-2015" component="ZTIBackup".......................

Monday, July 20, 2015 6:03 PM
  • Curious to see resolving the space issue means you get a good capture.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by BWB Mark Monday, July 20, 2015 7:13 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2015 6:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

Sysprep by default disables built-in administrator account. To avoid this, before doing sysprep, create setupcomplete.cmd in c:\windows\setupscripts with this line:

net user administrator /active:yes

After this, sysprep and you'll see the administrator account remains active.

Friday, July 10, 2015 3:24 PM
  • Thanks Jose...

It's worth noting I've never had to do this in the past... This is at least the 10th update to this image since first rolling out MDT.  I'll do it shortly but have to re-ask my first question, why am I not seeing the FINISHED window any longer?

Thanks again!

Friday, July 10, 2015 4:41 PM
  • It's because MDT uses the built-in administrator account by default to deploy the image, it tries to log on but the account is disabled. If you look in c:\ you'll see the directories used by MDT, the deployment hasn't finished, that's why you don't see the finished window.
    Friday, July 10, 2015 4:51 PM
  • If it is the 10th iteration of an update to an update to an update etc then I would expect there to be issues.  Are you building it fresh each time or is it iterative?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, July 10, 2015 7:12 PM
  • Ok first, thanks for the replies from both of you. I genuinely appreciate it.

Second. Ty, I know it isn't a best practice, (I'm learning still as I don't really update often, and worst, I'm creature of habit).  So 2 questions/comments.

1) IF I had to CHECK where this admin acct disabling was, where would I go? It's kind of funny because we used to use it, and then recently made the switch to using our own created ADM accts on the domain, and not THE domain admin acct we used to use.. This is the first time we've run into issues about it too... likely related.

2) I use VM for my image, deploy it, update it, sysprep n capture it, and then create a new TS to deploy.  That's OK right?  Are you saying I should just deploy a default Win7 image, and build it to my golden image each time from scratch?  Just wondering... it's not THAT difficult if that's what you recommend...

Thanks guys, Mark

Monday, July 13, 2015 3:05 PM
  • Mark,

Its not just that it isn't best practice but, there are a finite number of times you can sysprep before things get sketchy.

Monday, July 13, 2015 5:26 PM
  • Understood, thanks Ty...

Locale of locked admin acct ?

M

Monday, July 13, 2015 6:13 PM
  • Hmm taking a step back... because when I started answering this I assumed you started with the unattend.xml that MDT populates into \Control\<TSid>\unattend.xml.

Does your unattend have the step to enable administrator?  If so is there a failure in your panther logs during the attempt to enable .\Administrator?

Administrator won't exist if it is never enabled.

Monday, July 13, 2015 7:47 PM
  • Ok Ty... Still not finding any mention of ADMIN "anything" in the Unattend.xml file, but where am I to look?

The 3 categories are:
    Distribution Share, Windows Image, and Answer File. I've gone through each category line by line and see nothing referencing ADMIN accts.

Just a tad more specific please?

Thanks, Mark

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 2:33 PM
  • In the specialization pass if you are using one of the MDT default unattend.xmls there will be a step to enable Administrator.  It is just a command line:

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 4:33 PM
  • First thanks everyone...

Second... this process was too slow for Mgmt, so we built a new image using a new VM on my laptop... now it fails to capture, but froze so bad, it never recovered.....Now we're working on the "pink screen of death", Failed to capture.... It sat hourglassing at that screen for 35 minutes, and never got to see the error.

Where is this error stored and do you have confidence it's there (seeing as it was forced down after 35 mins) ?? 

As always, any help is appreciated..

Mark

Monday, July 20, 2015 12:20 PM
  • Depending on when this happens logs could be either x:\MININT or c:\MININT or %tmp\Deploymentlogs

Monday, July 20, 2015 3:49 PM
  • On the actual VM image, MININT\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS contains to log files, BDD.LOG and Wizard.LOG

Neither of these look correct.

On the deployment share itself, these directories don't exit. Found a C:\REMINST\TMP\  but all the files in here are dated older, so they're not what I need.

Suggestions further?

Monday, July 20, 2015 4:34 PM
  • Those should be the logs. Although another option is %WINDIR%\TEMP\DEPLOYMENTLOGS

Monday, July 20, 2015 4:50 PM
  • Ok Ty, that DIR has 13 log files in it...

Which do you recommend I post here?  I'll go through them in the mean time but I'm really looking to speed up this process today....

Monday, July 20, 2015 5:50 PM
  • BDD.log is an aggregate of the others. Share it on something like OneDrive and then post the link here.

Monday, July 20, 2015 5:51 PM
  • Also can you make sure your unattend.xml has a step to enable the administrator password?  It should be in the specialize step.

Monday, July 20, 2015 5:52 PM
  • Oh god... could it be?? I'll begin bowing my head in shame..... (But know it SHOULD have informed me via our server warnings.... Live and learn... BOLDED BELOW

<![LOG[ZTI Heartbeat: command has been running for 40 minutes (process ID 1384)]LOG]!><time="17:21:03.000+000" date="07-17-2015" component="ZTIBackup" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIBackup">
    <![LOG[  Console > [  60% ] Capturing progress: 25:59 mins remaining ]LOG]!><time="17:21:59.000+000" date="07-17-2015" component="ZTIBackup" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIBackup">
    <![LOG[  Console > Error imaging drive [C:\]]LOG]!><time="17:22:44.000+000" date="07-17-2015" component="ZTIBackup" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIBackup">
    <![LOG[  Console > There is not enough space on the disk. ]LOG]!><time="17:22:44.000+000" date="07-17-2015" component="ZTIBackup" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIBackup">
    <![LOG[Return code from command = 2]LOG]!><time="17:22:44.000+000" date="07-17-2015" component="ZTIBackup" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIBackup">
    <![LOG[Error creating an image of drive C:, rc = 2]LOG]!><time="17:22:44.000+000" date="07-17-2015" component="ZTIBackup".......................

Monday, July 20, 2015 6:03 PM
  • Curious to see resolving the space issue means you get a good capture.

• Marked as answer by BWB Mark Monday, July 20, 2015 7:13 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2015 6:05 PM
  • That was it....  SUCCESS!  Thanks for all the help with this one!

......MORE BELOW.......

• Edited by BWB Mark Tuesday, July 21, 2015 12:20 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2015 7:14 PM
  • OK, sort of success....

""RECOVER FROM DOMAIN"" keeps restarting... over and over.... and it doesn't join the domain (obviously)

Suggestions?

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 12:17 PM
  • Check your logs for that step.  Can you share BDD.log to something like OneDrive and provide a link to it here?

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 5:43 PM