What does the phrase "remove the web servers that run wss 3.0 from service" mean? RRS feed

• Question

• I am working from comments in http://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc288269(office.12).aspx , which discusses things to do when installing software updates (such as the service pack Ron and I are trying to install).

About half way down in the document, in the “Installing a software update” section, they write:

• You must remove the Web servers that run WSS 3.0 from service for the duration of the software update installation. The reason for doing this is that the software update might make schema changes to the SQL Server database, and user authoring during the upgrade might result in the front-end and back-end servers having different content.

I understand the reason – what I don’t understand is what the phrase “remove the web servers that run wss 3.0 from service” means.

Can anyone provide any insights on what Microsoft is recommending here?

I have never installed or updated a SharePoint server before, so some of this terminology is confusing.

Thank you so much for your help.

Monday, May 21, 2012 11:28 AM

Answers

• The phrase is referring to environments where load balancing is used for distributing user requests across multipe web servers. The instruction is to remove the web server you are updating from the load balancer configuration to avoid user requests to get to that server while you are updating it.

Dirk Van den Berghe

• Marked as answer by lwvirden Monday, May 21, 2012 11:50 AM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 11:42 AM

All replies

• The phrase is referring to environments where load balancing is used for distributing user requests across multipe web servers. The instruction is to remove the web server you are updating from the load balancer configuration to avoid user requests to get to that server while you are updating it.

Dirk Van den Berghe

• Marked as answer by lwvirden Monday, May 21, 2012 11:50 AM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 11:42 AM
  • thank you very much. I found the world wide web service in the services app and shut it down.
    Monday, May 21, 2012 11:51 AM