Word 2007 Crashes when anything is typed. RRS feed

• Question

• Server 2003 Terminal Services,

Offices 2007 Enterprise

When opening Word everything works fine.  Once something is typed in...letters, symbols, or number it crashes.  Comes up with a screen "Microsoft Office Word has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are are sorry for the inconvencience."  Its a send error report screen.

I can paste into work just fine but when I try to type anything it brings up this window.  It does it for all the users that log onto the computer.

I ran a diagnoistics and nothing came up.  I have tried reinstall all of Office and nothing.  I am out of ideas.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

Friday, August 27, 2010 9:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First, reboot the computer and see if the problem can be resolved.

If not, let’s troubleshoot the issue by the suggestions below:

Test this issue in safe mode.

==============

1.       Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office.

2.        Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click Microsoft Word.

If the problem does not occur in the safe mode, this issue might be related to some third-party add-ins in the Office program, we can try to disable them.

If the problem persists, start Word with /a switch.

In Windows Vista and Windows 7

1.       Exit Word 2010

2.       Click Start

3.       In the Start Search box, type the following text, and then press ENTER:
    "%programfiles%\microsoft office\office1
    2\winword.exe" /a

In Windows XP

1.       Exit Word 2010

2.       Click Start, and then click Run.

3.       In the Open box, type the following text, and then press ENTER:
    "%programfiles%\microsoft office\office1
    2\winword.exe" /a

If this issue does not occur when starting Word using /a switch, we can try to rename the Word Global Template:

1.       Exit all Office programs.

2.       Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

Note: If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, click Start, in the Search box, type command prompt. right click on command prompt and choose run as administrator.

1.       Type the following command, as appropriate for the version of Word that you are running, and then press ENTER:

ren %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dotm OldNormal.dotm

1.       Type exit, and then press ENTER.

However, if the problem persists after this, we might need to repair the Office program from Control Panel > Programs and Features, right click the Office program and choose Change, then Repair.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, September 3, 2010 7:08 AM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 9:30 AM