none
Excel 2013 issue RRS feed

• Question

• When she has multiple Excel workbooks open, if one is saving (either auto saving or hitting save) and she switches workbooks before the saving has completed, she will receive notification that Excel needs to restart and she looses her changes.

I’ve confirmed the following:

1. At least two workbooks are open at once.
    2. It isn't on a particular workbook/sheet Excel crashes and at least one of the workbooks is large enough that results in being able to see the green status bar while saving.
    3. None of the documents include pictures or links to any other application such as Access or external links.

She re-created this with two brand new workbooks.  The first workbook has an ‘x’ in each cell in columns A-E for every row.  She saved this workbook as workbook (#1).  Then opened a new workbook and only has a single letter in cells A1, A2, A3, A4, and A5.  I then she saved this one as workbook (#2).  Then went back to workbook #1 I hit <F2> in one of the cells and then hit <ENTER>.  The green status bar shows up.  Before it is completed she attempts to go to workbook #2 to edit a cell and received the message that Excel has encountered an error and then it shuts it’s self down. 

Thursday, November 7, 2013 10:19 PM

Answers

• Hi

Create several new blank file and try to save.

Switch between them to check the issue.

Start Excel in safe mode to check: Hold "Ctrl" key and click into the program.

If the issue persists, do a repair for your Office suites in Control panel>Program and features>Office>Change>Repair

Regards

Tylor Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 11, 2013 1:03 AM

All replies

• Hi

Normally Excel saves a file within 1 seconds, what did you mean by before the saving has completed?

I have tested in my machine following your steps, however after saving the two workbooks, I can switch between them with no issue.

Since your Excel got crashed, we recommend you refer to the following article to troubleshoot the problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2758592

Best regards

Tylor Wang

Friday, November 8, 2013 7:20 AM
  • What I meant by before saving is complete is the green fill bar is still filling when it crashes so the save didn't complete.
    Friday, November 8, 2013 2:35 PM
  • Hi

Create several new blank file and try to save.

Switch between them to check the issue.

Start Excel in safe mode to check: Hold "Ctrl" key and click into the program.

If the issue persists, do a repair for your Office suites in Control panel>Program and features>Office>Change>Repair

Regards

Tylor Wang

Monday, November 11, 2013 1:03 AM