emails in inbox disapear after about 2 weeks RRS feed

• Question

• Outlook 2016 and Windows 7. How do I set up Outlook to keep my emails in the inbox until I delete or move them?
    Tuesday, February 7, 2017 6:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What type of email account are you using? Exchange, IMAP or POP3? If you are using an Exchange account, this issue would happen if you only have two weeks of emails cached to local. To verify this, go to File > Account Settings > Account Settings, double click your email account to open the Change Account Wizard. Make sure the "Mail to keep offline" slider is not set to 2 weeks.

This issue could also happen if you have AutoArchive enabled for Inbox, which will delete old emails or move them to the local archive folder. To verify this, right click your Inbox, select Properties and click AutoArchive tab. Make sure the 'Do not archive items in this folder' option is currently selected.

In addition, do you have any custom view/filter applied to your Inbox? Your emails could be hidden by these views/filters. We can try to start Outlook with /cleanviews command to reset all custom views to default to fix the issue. To do this, exit Outlook, press Windows key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /cleanviews and press Enter.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 8:34 AM
  • Thanks Steve.

My email address is heinz@enlightenpower.com.au, the account is an IMAP.

The 'Do not archive items in this folder' option is currently selected.

I have run the outlook /cleanviews command.

The last email in my Inbox is dated 25/01/17. 

I would appreichate any other ideas you may have.

Thanks, Heinz

Sunday, February 12, 2017 10:14 PM
  • Thank you Heinz for the update.

Can you still see these missing emails if we logon to the webmail interface of your email account in a browser?

Do you have any subfolders in the Inbox? If so, does this issue also happen to these subfolders?

What if we search for these emails in your Outlook with the search scope set to All Mailboxes?

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 16, 2017 2:16 AM