Unassigned phone numbers - Strange Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I followed the Technet article for creating an Unassigned Number Range and announcements. I test several senerios for internal and external number ranges. I implimented the policy for one site 717-555-1000 through 717-555-3999 (ficticious number) Everything was fine until a user at a remote site reported that when they attempted to call  cell number 912-444-3258 they received the announcement that the call was not in service. I tested the same number from my site where the FE servers are located and got the announcment also. I created a voice routing test case in Lync and Lync was sending the call out to the PSTN gateway as a long distance call. I deleted the Unassigned numbers range out of Lync and after a few minutes the calls started to work again.

Any clues as to why or how this happened. The 10 digit range for the unassigned numbers was completely different from the range of the LD Cell call. I did not do a sniffer trace, I am just checking the set up to make sure the configuration was correct. BTW the number that was being flagged as "unnassigned was the cell of CEO of the company. Not good, so if I re-create this I need to be on the mark.  Any clues?

Thank you

Steve

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:43 PM

All replies

• Based on your description these issues can't be related since the the problem cell phone number is not in the range you configured. Either you made a mistake in the configuration of the unassigned number range or there is something else going on.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:13 PM
  • Thank you for your input.

No mistake in the range. The range was a completely different 10 digit number range from the cell phone number. The odd thing, it was dialed from two different locations that use different Registrars and different gateways.

At first I thought it was a gateway issue. But being that it was two different sites and two different gateways, I am interested to see if anyone else had anything similar.

As far as a mistake, you enter the starting 10 digits and the ending 10 digits. Little room for error there unless I am missing something. And yes the unassigned 10 digit range was completely different from the cell number. Not even close.

I removed the unassigned number range and it started working in one site (FE site) , then after a few minutes the other site (SBA) started working.

Still looking for clues.

Steve

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:36 PM
  • On the unassigned number range make sure you are using E164 format (+.......). So the next step would be to get a client side capture and a server side (FE SIPStack and Mediation S4) to see if there are any clues as to why this is happening. The problem of course is that you will need to re-create the range in order to test. Post any meaningful data you find and someone on the Forum may be able to offer additional insight.

• Proposed as answer by ALANMAD Thursday, November 1, 2012 12:19 AM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 2:07 AM
  • Hi,

It is very strange. Please try to enable logging tool to get detailed report:

http://blog.schertz.name/2011/06/using-the-lync-logging-tool/

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg558599.aspx

Regards,

Kent Huang

TechNet Community Support ************************************************************************************************************************ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

• Edited by Kent-Huang Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:35 AM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:35 AM
  • I have recreated the table  and have included the whole range for my site (DID and non-DID). I placed a few test calls and all seems to be working. I put the word out to my organization to notify me on any failures to outside (PSTN) failures. Just waiting now to do a trace from the FE server if that happens.

Thanks!

Steve

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 2:57 PM