How do I Disable Nearby Sharing (Windows 10 1803)? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Does anyone know a method of disabling nearby sharing by an automated method?

I can't find reference to this service in the downloadable Group Policy Settings spreadsheet.

I know it can be individually toggled by an end user in the settings, but I need a way to disable this feature across our network centrally without the end user being able to switch it back on.

Thanks

GD

• Edited by GhostyDog Thursday, August 16, 2018 9:59 AM
    Thursday, August 16, 2018 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hello,

AFAIK, there is no GPO setting available till date, to disable Nearby sharing feature.

Even changing some registry keys haven't received the desired result.

We hope Microsoft will add the required GPOs in upcoming versions.

Reference: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4769c0fd-8e77-4455-95de-70eb349bd5da/nearby-share?forum=win10itprogeneral

Regards.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

• Edited by Kapil.AryaMVP Thursday, August 16, 2018 10:36 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Kapil.AryaMVP Friday, August 17, 2018 12:19 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Tuesday, August 21, 2018 3:03 AM
    Thursday, August 16, 2018 10:33 AM
  • Hello,

AFAIK, there is no GPO setting available till date, to disable Nearby sharing feature.

Even changing some registry keys haven't received the desired result.

We hope Microsoft will add the required GPOs in upcoming versions.

Reference: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4769c0fd-8e77-4455-95de-70eb349bd5da/nearby-share?forum=win10itprogeneral

Regards.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Thanks for the fast response,

I can't imagine how they thought it was a good idea deploying this without the capability to manage the feature especially considering the spotlight on information governance that GDPR has introduced.

Fingers crossed we get some GPO based management capability before 1709 goes EOL. 

If it was just bluetooth that would be manageable, but WIFI as well makes it a serious Data Loss risk.

Thanks again

GD

Thursday, August 16, 2018 10:45 AM
  • Hi,

We could feedback your desire to Microsoft through Windows build-in application "Feedback Hub". Microsoft might consider to release this function in the next feature update package, it will also help Microsoft to improve user experience. 

Bests,

Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 17, 2018 8:59 AM
  • Hello,

This should be the Policy For Nearby Sharing

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy:

Continue Experiences On this Device:

At least Windows Server, Windows 10                This policy setting determines whether the Windows device is allowed to participate in cross-device experiences (continue experiences).  If you enable this policy setting, the Windows device is discoverable by other Windows devices that belong to the same user, and can participate in cross-device experiences.  If you disable this policy setting, the Windows device is not discoverable by other devices, and cannot participate in cross-device experiences.  If you do not configure this policy setting, the default behavior depends on the Windows edition. Changes to this policy take effect on reboot

This should be the registry key

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System!EnableCdp

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Tuesday, August 21, 2018 3:03 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by GhostyDog Tuesday, August 21, 2018 7:09 AM
    Friday, August 17, 2018 4:08 PM
  • Hello,

This should be the Policy For Nearby Sharing

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy:

Continue Experiences On this Device:

At least Windows Server, Windows 10                This policy setting determines whether the Windows device is allowed to participate in cross-device experiences (continue experiences).  If you enable this policy setting, the Windows device is discoverable by other Windows devices that belong to the same user, and can participate in cross-device experiences.  If you disable this policy setting, the Windows device is not discoverable by other devices, and cannot participate in cross-device experiences.  If you do not configure this policy setting, the default behavior depends on the Windows edition. Changes to this policy take effect on reboot

This should be the registry key

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System!EnableCdp

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Are you sure? This is for sharing stuff between devices that you own, and that you have signed into with a microsoft account. Nearby Share allows sharing with anyone who uses the service, although you can set it to only share with your own devices. https://www.howtogeek.com/347941/how-to-use-nearby-sharing-on-windows-10/
    Friday, August 17, 2018 4:47 PM
  • Hi Darrell, 

I am very grad to hear you find the corresponding group policy item and registry key about Nearby sharing. Thank you very much. I will update my knowledge storage now. 

Bests,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 3:07 AM
  • Hi Darrell, 

I am very grad to hear you find the corresponding group policy item and registry key about Nearby sharing. Thank you very much. I will update my knowledge storage now. 

Bests,

Joy,

In the absence of further input from Darrell I do not believe this is the answer.

Regards

GD

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 7:11 AM
  • Hi, 

If the reply from Derrell is helpful for you, please kindly mark it as an answer. This action would be more useful for other customers who have similiar issue with you.

Bests,

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 1:38 AM
  • It really should be possible.  I can't believe <g class="gr_ gr_33 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" data-gr-id="33" id="33">its</g> not.  It creates huge holes.  I have a very secure work network.  And a home pc, <g class="gr_ gr_148 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="148" id="148">thats</g> well a personal PC.  I mean <g class="gr_ gr_259 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="259" id="259">Im</g> <g class="gr_ gr_387 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="387" id="387">not</g> an idiot, but <g class="gr_ gr_388 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" data-gr-id="388" id="388">its</g> not enterprise secure.  Because MSFT realizes I am the same person from using the same resources, things carry over that <g class="gr_ gr_624 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="624" id="624">shouldnt</g>.  Secure docs end up on my home pc.  If my cat accidentally walks across the keyboard and pulls up an adult-themed movie, it might show up on my work pc!
    Wednesday, August 22, 2018 1:47 AM