none
DPM 2010 Service Pack 1 Wish List RRS feed

• General discussion

• Well, DPM 2010 has been out long enough that we consumers can dream up a "wish list" for new features in DPM 2010 Service Pack 1. So, here goes...

1) Item-level Restore from Bare Metal Backups. Just like ILR is available for backups of Hyper-V VHDs, IRL should be available from the VHD files made from BMR backups. This functionality is already available using Windows Server Backup in WinSrv 2008 R2.

2) Co-location of Bare Metal Backups. Just like with co-location of Hyper-V VHDs, this would simplify the storage of BMR backups and significantly reduce the amount of disk space used for BMR backups of numerous servers.

3) Provide an Option in the Administrator Console GUI to Manually Delete Specific Recovery Points. This is sorely needed because the steps required in the DPM Management Shell to manually delete a recovery point are way too cumbersome.

4) Support for Search and Other Services Used in SharePoint 2010. As this TechNet article shows, DPM 2010 cannot protect the search in SharePoint 2010. This, among other reasons, led our SharePoint admins to decide not to use DPM 2010 to protect SharePoint 2010. Instead, they'll just use SharePoint's native backup and restore functionality. (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc261687.aspx#ChooseWhatProtect)

5) Support for SQL Server 2008 R2 for the DPM Database. Needed obviously for support of this latest edition of SQL Server.

These are just my main "wishes." Please feel free post comments to this thread and add your own wish list items. Perhaps we just may get one or two of these wishes answered in DPM 2010 SP1...

-Taylorbox

• Edited by Taylorbox Tuesday, August 10, 2010 1:48 AM
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 4:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Some nice ideas, please fill out the following survey, however, the SP will be limited to fixing bugs and most likely will not contain any new features / capabilities.

Please take some time to complete the survey (Future Enhancements to DPM) and share your future needs with the DPM Product Team.

Survey Link: http://connect.microsoft.com/site840/Survey/Survey.aspx?SurveyID=11130

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 3:10 PM
  • Interesting. I'm surprised to hear that there may not be new features in DPM 2010 SP1. DPM 2007 SP1 introduced support for protecting Hyper-V, Exchange 2007 SCR, mirrored SQL Server databases, cross-forest data protection with two-way trust, SharePoint 2007 search, and more. Similarly, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 will introduce Dynamic Memory and RemoteFX. Thus, one can understand why customers are used to expecting new features/capabilities in Service Packs nowadays.

I was under the impression that the bi-monthly hotfix rollups/cumulative updates/QFE's handle the bug fixes, and the Service Pack takes all of those bug fixes and adds new features also. But, perhaps I should instead be hoping for DPM 2010 R2.  :o)  It would really be a disappointment to have to wait until DPM 2013 before getting new features.

I've already filled out that survey, but there's more to add now...

-Taylorbox

Monday, August 9, 2010 1:30 PM
  • Long term backup to disks and USBs.

Friday, October 22, 2010 2:16 PM
  • I totally agree with Taylorbox and especially points 1) and 2) are major issues (at least for our company).

After months of using DPM 2010, I would add few more things (beside what has been mentioned here or is in the survey which I've filled in the past):

a) more clear error/alert messages - spitting out 3 error codes in one message is nice, but not so nice if you can't really understand/decypher what's wrong from message. DPM should also be able to translate the WSB errors to readable format, so that we don't have to go digging to target machine and search for WSB errors in the eventlog when it's DPM that has a problem.

b) overall better product "integrity" - by this I mean that DPM is very dependant on WSB and VSS and especially VSS seems to be very fragile component in Windows and when we encounter a problem with VSS during backup and DPM team says something along the lines of "oh, it's a problem in VSS? ... erm ok, please go contact the support for VSS, it's not our problem", then that's not so cool.

c) not sure if this will ever change, but the idea of creating a disk volume for every protected datasource (except for co-located SQL as of now) is terrible IMO - currently DPM has created 111 dynamic volumes on our 5TB backup disk and we're only backing up half of the servers with DPM so far... You don't usually have to mess with those volumes at all, but if you ever DO, then it's a mess. Using the windows GUI is plainly impossible (even if to get information on the volumes), so the only option is using command-line diskpart or some other command-line tool. Also, if protection groups or disk allocation changes frequently, this also subsequently creates even more volumes (I call this volume-level fragmentation :D)

Note: this post is NOT meant as negative criticism

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 7:53 AM
  • I'd also like to see a change in the recovery interface that would allow the admin to change the recovery point date (or time) without requiring searching down through the folders and sub-folders to find the file to recover a second time. Sometimes the user does not know when the file was last changed and it can take some trial and error to locate the right information the way it is today.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:20 PM
  • long term backup to RDX drives
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 9:44 PM
  • I would like to see changes on the end user recovery.
    The users shouldn't need to be admin of their workstation and even if they should we should be able to add a group to the Local Administrator group.

I'd like to see real time bandwidth inside the console.

Friday, November 5, 2010 12:03 AM
  • I think the reporting interface needs some work. We should be able to create custom reports and I think the format of the reports is not all that great. I also agree that the error codes and troubleshooting needs help. DPM usually works flawless for me but when it doesnt work it can be a huge pain figuring out what is wrong from the cryptic error codes.

Friday, November 5, 2010 3:04 PM
  • Better integration of standalone tape drives and Superloaders e.g. automatically eject tapes after successfull backups, notification if tape drives needs cleaning.

We are running dpm servers at different customer sites where there is no need to have ultra big tape drives because the amount of data written to tape and retention policies for tape backup aren't really big. One Tape-Backup per week to LTO4 or LTO5 Tapedrives is mostly enough at the amount of data point of view. Non-IT on-site staff is changing tapes the day after tape backup day. It would be helpfull for the non-it staff to easily take the tape and put in a new one.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 3:05 PM
  • Microsoft is already thinking about the next release (Vnext).
    Share your thoughts on the Future Enhancements to DPM with the DPM Product Team.

Survey Link: http://connect.microsoft.com/site840/Survey/Survey.aspx?SurveyID=11130

Friday, November 12, 2010 2:27 PM
  • I would like to see a wizard to manually create and restore replicas.

The process in the following kb could be made into an easy to follow wizard.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399552.aspx

Kevin

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 11:49 PM
  • darcko, I guess you posted to a wrong forum,  this is Data Protection Manager 2010 SP1 wish list.
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 11:21 AM
  • didn't know sorry
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:23 AM
  • Wishlist:

1. Running DPM on Hyper-V with the ability to backup other hyper-v machines

2. Long term backup to disk (iSCSI and external SATA/USB)

3. Mailbox Level Restore on Exchange 2010

4. Backup of Exhange 2010 Mailboxes as PST Files

5. Export a self contained backup to external disk. store the recovery point together with an executable that can be started and shows the content on the disk, and allows the extraction of items (files/folders, SQL Backups, Exchange Backups) to another disk. Or the files on the external disk are stored in the primary backup format of the application, files as files, sql DBs as SQL Backups, Exchange Mailboxes as PSTs, ...

This feature will allow the long term storage of a complete backup in an external location, like a secondary Datacenter or a banksafe.

Sunday, March 13, 2011 9:05 PM
  • +1 for automatically ejecting tapes after backup.

We have just switched to DPM from Ultrabac and are still using the old skool method of daily tape rotation.
    Every night we backup to tape and then replace the tape in the morning.
    When we were using Ultrabac we just needed to swap the tape in the morning. Took 30 seconds.
    Now we have to press the eject button and wait a few minutes for the tape to spit out.

Monday, April 18, 2011 9:24 AM
  • I need to be able to better manage my tape media

I have described it in http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/dpmpowershell/thread/1f906fad-6ba2-4cfd-a8ef-b8d8459240f8?prof=required

From PowerShell I would like to know when a specific tape is going to "expire" so that I can schedule its safe return into the Library :-)

Monday, June 20, 2011 2:42 PM
  • Support for TFS 2010

In DPM gui, ability to recover selected databases instead of individual database at a time.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:41 PM
  • Hi,

1. better memory management (we have some DPM servers that consume huge amounts of memory because of VSS

2. better performance when several tape backups are running at the same time

3. brick level restore for exchange items

4. more reports, customized reports

5. GUI integration for maintenance jobs (library inventory)

6. ability to see scheduled jobs in one view

regards

/bkpfast

Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:13 AM
  • Hi,

not sure if MSFT is still following this thread, but it might be worth pointing out that DPM 2012 is in beta stage now, so it would be nice telling us if these requested changes will (if at all) implemented in 2010 SP1 (will it even be released?) or 2012.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:23 AM
  • Hi,

We are actively monitoring this thread, and some good ideas have been suggested.  We will not have a formal SP1 for DPM 2010, but instead we're just releasing rollup patches for bugs.  We will not be releasing any new features in DPM 2010, and DPM 2012 is currently feature complete, so some of these ideas will need to be considered for DPM V-next.   However, I encourage you to please keep the ideas coming and if we see enought requests for the same feature that will have an impact on the decision to include it or not.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:29 PM
  • Thanks for the update Mike.
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:40 PM
  • 1)  Continually retry synchronisation/rec point failures
    2)  Backup-To-Tape management totally reworked/rethought. (Whole different thread here!)
    3)  Ability to mount/boot backups in a sandbox HyperV environment on the DPM server.  Proves that backups are sound and could also be used for business continuity in a DR scenario especially if 2nd DPM server is in a the DR datacentre.
    4)  BMR for Windows 7 - why not there already??
    5)  Better (full) support for Workgroup/Untrusted/Perimeter networks.
    6)  message level recovery for Exchange straight into live database(albeit using RSG in the background and all run by scripts).
    7)  Ability to mount replica volumes on the DPM Server.
    Friday, January 27, 2012 6:59 AM
  • To add to what has already been suggested here.

1. An option to enable tape jobs to automatically retry every x minutes if the drive "needs cleaning". Our tape library auto-cleans itself, but DPM just fails the job rather than retrying. Very annoying.

2. Better disk allocation. The auto grow volume option can become a nightmare because you can't shrink the replica volume once it has grown.

3. Easier management of protection groups. For example, if I want to add a member to a PG I shouldn't have to click next through the whole wizard. 

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:21 AM
  • XenServer support would great!
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 6:18 PM