none
users autentication on the UAG sharepoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

How are the extranet and the remote users are  authenticated by the UAG..i mean if the extranet web application is a claims based authentication(form based authentication,sqlmembership provider) ..DOES the UAG have a login form when the credentials are submited they are checked against the sql database and once the user is authenticated , it takes him to the extranet site, if there are 2 zones the intranet and the extranet how does the UAG knows which website to direct the users?

the network looks like this

external user/remote user -- > uag->dmz(web front ends)-->firewall ->internal network(application server, search server) -->database clusters

Appreciate your hellp!

Thanks

sandesh

Friday, July 29, 2011 8:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Sandesh,

if i undestood you corectly then you're going to use a SQL based SharePoint authentication (not ADFS / SAML Federation)?

In this case you may create a custom UAG SQL repository which access the same user database as your application. On this way UAG and SharePoint will trust the same user accounts. The initial UAG Login will be most likely a UAG forms login mask. The Login mask will track the URL you've used for initial access and simply redirecty you back after successful logon (so its site/zone aware^^). To get a Single-Sign-On to your SharePoint application you can make use of the UAG Forms Authentication engine. This engine is able to inspect the SharePoint Forms login mask and to automatically inject your user credentials into the SharePoint Login Form.

-Kai

• Marked as answer by spcrawler Monday, August 1, 2011 6:10 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by spcrawler Monday, August 1, 2011 6:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by spcrawler Monday, August 1, 2011 6:12 PM
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 5:57 AM
  • I recommend reading the old IAG 2007 administrator and user guides in addition to the UAG Technet site. Both contain a lot of information how UAG can be configured and also customized. Beside of that there exist a lot of blogs on the internet which are worth to look at. And lastly google does also a good job finding specific informations / code examples using some UAG specific key words :)

-Kai

• Marked as answer by spcrawler Tuesday, August 2, 2011 7:17 PM
    Monday, August 1, 2011 9:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Sandesh,

if i undestood you corectly then you're going to use a SQL based SharePoint authentication (not ADFS / SAML Federation)?

In this case you may create a custom UAG SQL repository which access the same user database as your application. On this way UAG and SharePoint will trust the same user accounts. The initial UAG Login will be most likely a UAG forms login mask. The Login mask will track the URL you've used for initial access and simply redirecty you back after successful logon (so its site/zone aware^^). To get a Single-Sign-On to your SharePoint application you can make use of the UAG Forms Authentication engine. This engine is able to inspect the SharePoint Forms login mask and to automatically inject your user credentials into the SharePoint Login Form.

-Kai

• Marked as answer by spcrawler Monday, August 1, 2011 6:10 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by spcrawler Monday, August 1, 2011 6:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by spcrawler Monday, August 1, 2011 6:12 PM
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 5:57 AM
  • Hi Thanks for the useful reply!

can u have share any good articles where i can get more info abt UAG(being zone aware, sso, uag sql repository)

Thanks,

Appreciate your help!

sandesh

• Unmarked as answer by spcrawler Tuesday, August 2, 2011 7:17 PM
    Monday, August 1, 2011 6:12 PM
  • I recommend reading the old IAG 2007 administrator and user guides in addition to the UAG Technet site. Both contain a lot of information how UAG can be configured and also customized. Beside of that there exist a lot of blogs on the internet which are worth to look at. And lastly google does also a good job finding specific informations / code examples using some UAG specific key words :)

-Kai

Monday, August 1, 2011 9:17 PM