New 2012 R2 WSUS Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm installing a new 2012 R2 WSUS server, server has the latest 2012 R2 May 2018 rollup installed.

Can you tell me if I still need to follow the steps in this article https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/3159706/update-enables-esd-decryption-provision-in-wsus-in-windows-server-2012 after installation of the WSUS server role ? i.e. run the command "C:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools\wsusutil.exe" postinstall /servicing

Also, I'm pretty sure when I've built 2012 R2 WSUS servers in the past this article mentioned installing the 'HTTP Activation' feature however there is no longer any mention in this article about installing this. Do I still need to install this feature after running the postinstall /servicing command ?

I've also tried installing KB3159706 however installer says update is not applicable probably because the latest monthly rollup already includes this fix.

Thanks

Friday, May 25, 2018 9:30 AM

All replies

• Hi readwrite,

Before we move on, to avoid any misunderstanding, would you please tell which update May 2018 rollup refers to? KB4103725? However it does not includes KB3159706, and we have noticed the prerequisites of installing KB3159706 in your link

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/3159706/update-enables-esd-decryption-provision-in-wsus-in-windows-server-2012.

“To apply this update in Windows Server 2012 R2, you must have April 2014 update rollup for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 (2919355) installed.“ Therefore we can firstly install KB2919355, then KB3159706 and May 2018 rollup at the end.

We do not need to install 'HTTP Activation' feature because it is an optional feature and you can see that in the link

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/14/use-windows-powershell-to-install-optional-features/

Best Regards,

Alan li

---------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Edited by Li Jianjie Wednesday, May 30, 2018 4:08 AM
    Monday, May 28, 2018 10:09 AM
  • Hi readwrite,

We wonder whether your issue has been resolved. 

If it has, I would appreciate if you could mark my replies as answer if they help and post your solutions to share with others having the same problem.

If it has not, please feel free to contact us for further assistance.
    Thanks.

Best regards,
    Li Jianjie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Edited by Li Jianjie Monday, June 11, 2018 8:17 AM
    Monday, June 11, 2018 8:17 AM
  • Hi,

I logged this with Microsoft support in the end, the response from the engineer was:-

"C:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools\wsusutil.exe" postinstall /servicing

You don’t need to run the Above command, instead complete the POST Install by launching the WSUS Console very first time after the role for the same is installed.
    The above should be done, when you have applied any Specific KB related to WSUS.

He also stated ‘HTTP Activation’ feature is not required

Regarding KB3159706 if I try and install the update the installer says not required. I'm not alone as others have reported this issue:-

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/adba56c0-44c5-4bb0-b212-330e9228b83d/kb3159706-not-applicable?forum=winserverwsus

If the update isn't included in the rollups then the update should be reworked so the installer does detect as required.

We build servers from templates which are kept up to date with the latest monthly rollups to ensure the server is secure as possible the first time it connects to the network. I don't want to have to uninstall previous rollups until at some point KB3159706 does install.

Regards

• Proposed as answer by AJTek.caMVP Tuesday, June 19, 2018 4:05 AM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2018 9:04 AM