Outlook 2010 Win7 Drag and drop email backup into windows folders RRS feed

• Question

• I have two folders that I backup on a monthly basis. I use "ctrl A" in the folder to highlight and select all emails (usually between 200-900 emails) -> then I open a new folder (nothing in it) in my documents and use "ctrl V" to paste all of the emails into the folder. It saves them as .msg files. It typically takes 5 or more minutes. I walk away and let it complete this RAM heavy task. 

After everything has completed and all of my emails are safely backed up in a new folder, i delete all of the emails from outlook.

Note: The file names are (should be) named after the Subject Line of the email itself. 

Here is the problem - the file names are not the same when I open the emal. I.E. I click on the file named "Happy Birthday - From Mom" and when it opens it is a completely different email in subject and body. Instead of seeing a happy birthday email from Mom, I see "You Have an Upcoming Bill" ect. ect. ect. 

Makes it very difficult to search through thousands of emails

Please Help and Thank you in advance

Thursday, January 9, 2014 11:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What will happen if we just copy/paste the single message "Happy Birthday - From Mom" to a folder, will it save as .msg file with another file name?

Please try to start Outlook with /cleanviews switch and then copy/paste emails to a folder to check if it still shows the wrong file name. To use the /cleanviews switch, press Windows key + R, type outlook.exe /cleanviews in the Run dialog and press Enter.

Please let me know the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Steve Fan Wednesday, January 15, 2014 4:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steve Fan Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:19 AM
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 4:56 PM