none
DPM 2010 intermittently writes backup jobs to 2 tapes RRS feed

• Question

• DPM TechNet forum,

We have DPM 2010 running on an HP X1600 G2 server (Windows Storage Server 2008 R2) that has an HP 1x8 G2 autoloader (LTO5) attached.

Intermittently, we've been experiencing long term tape backup issues of DPM 2010 writing the backup jobs to 2 tapes.  Last night, the 1st tape had approx. 840GB written to it before writing 800+ GB to a second tape.

When we first started to experience this issue, I followed Mike's recommendations in this article:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2012/05/14/things-you-can-do-to-help-data-protection-manager-utilize-your-tapes-full-capacity.aspx

Those settings seemed to alleviate the issue for a while but DPM is back to intermittently using 2 tapes.  Last week, it happened 3 times.

I'd like to get some assistance with identifying the problem and resolving it, if possible.

Thank you in advance!

Joe

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 2:15 PM

All replies

• TechNet,

Does anyone have any answers to this issue?

Thanks,

Joe

Saturday, October 19, 2013 11:44 AM
  • TechNet DPM forum,

Well, we seem to have figured it out.  I opened a case with Microsoft and spoke to one of their DPM engineers.  I also explained that we were using one SAS controller that served 2 RAID arrays (one for the OS volume and one for the DPM storage volume) and had the tape drive connected to the external port of the SAS controller.  I explained to the DPM engineer (who had previously worked for Symantec and their Backup Exec product) that (in my 20+ years working in IT) using the same disk controller for tape devices was not considered a best practice.

We installed a new SAS controller and connected the tape drive to it.  We still were having issues where DPM would use multiple tapes to perform a backup (of about 1.7TB).  I then noticed that the registry settings (as per Mike's blog post) were not listed under the NEW controller.  I made those changes and was able (so far) to get 2 successful backups to tape.

We also updated DPM 2010 to the latest QFE revision while we had the MS case open.

Joe

Monday, November 11, 2013 7:14 PM