Microsft Bug? Visual Studio 2010 Failed to deploy SharePoint Feature Solution to Multi-Servers Farm RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Sharepoint Development two-server Farm named "spdev1" and "sqldev1".  SharePoint 2010 and Visual Studio 2010 is installed on "spdev1".  MS SQL Server 2008R2 is installed on "sqldev1". I have a FBA extranet web application running on "spdev1".  Visual Studio 2010 has two solutions. Solution A has only dlls deploying to GAC globally, Solution A has s feature with "Site" scope.   Everything works fine in Visual Studio 2010, the solutions can be built and deployed to the farm with no any error.

For some reason, I need to use the SQL Reporting Service, so I installed SharePoint 2010 on "sqldev1" and join the SharePoint to the server farm according to the MSDN description. the SQl reporting service installastion and integration configuration are all work fine. Now the farm has two SharePoint Servers and one SQL server.

After joining the new server, then I rebuild and redeploy my solution from Visual Studio 2010, I have no problem to deploy the Solution A. But I failed to deploy the Solution B. The error is "Error occurred in deployment step 'Activate Features': Feature with Id 'xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx' is not installed in this farm, and cannot be added to this scope."

I checked both the "spdev1" and "sqldev1", I found that the feature in Solution B has only deployed on "spdev1" but not on "sqldev1". On the central administation page, it show the solution B is not deployed.  It will fail if deploying from central administration page.

However, copy the same solution B and install it using Powershell and activate the feature,  all steps will be fine.

Apparently, Visual Studio 2010 can't correctly deploy the solution to multiple-servers farm for solution B.  

How can I fix the problem?

Monday, March 26, 2012 11:14 PM

All replies