none
DPM2010 server not backing up from the correct place RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 DPM2010 servers that were in DPM2DPM replication mode. I now have too much data to continue using this type of backup and want to spilt the load between the 2 servers. I have managed to move over some of the servers into new protection groups but when I try to add some of the Hyper-V guests that are installed on one of the servers I keep getting this message. "One or more of the selected data sources are already configured for protection on the primary DPM server. When you switch back protection, the replicas of these data sources will be protected from the primary DPM server."

How can I get this message to stop and the backup to start working. I have checked on what was the primary DPM server and cannot see any reference to the server I am trying to protection on the second server.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 2:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

could it be that 1 or more guests are (or were and now inactive) already protected by 'the other' (primary) DPM server?

All data sources within a system or cluster must be protected by the same DPM server.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 3:20 PM
  • Hi,

adding to what Ruud baars suggetion.

if you are planning to move all the Datasource from server  (for the Server you are recieving that error) to secondary Dpm and start protection afresh ?

then  you can use Remove-ProductionServer.ps1.

Thanks, NikhilKumar.R [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

could it be that 1 or more guests are (or were and now inactive) already protected by 'the other' (primary) DPM server?

All data sources within a system or cluster must be protected by the same DPM server.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 3:20 PM
  • Hi,

adding to what Ruud baars suggetion.

if you are planning to move all the Datasource from server  (for the Server you are recieving that error) to secondary Dpm and start protection afresh ?

then  you can use Remove-ProductionServer.ps1.

Thanks, NikhilKumar.R [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:54 PM